You have found an item located in the Kentuckiana Digital Library.
A Brief History of the Colored Churches of Frankfort, Ky. Underwood, Elsworth E. 400dpi TIFF G4 page images University of Kentucky, Electronic Information Access & Management Center Lexington, Kentucky 2002 b02-000000015 These pages may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. A Brief History of the Colored Churches of Frankfort, Ky. Underwood, Elsworth E. Underwood, Elsworth E. [Frankfort, Ky.] 1906 IMLS This electronic text file was created by Optical Character Recognition (OCR). No corrections have been made to the OCR-ed text and no editing has been done to the content of the original document. Encoding has been done through an automated process using the recommendations for Level 1 of the TEI in Libraries Guidelines. Digital page images are linked to the text file. A Brief History OF The Colored Churches OF Frankfort, Ky. PUBLISHED BY THE Bugle Publishing Company. 1906. This page in the original text is blank. R1Ev. E. T. F'lsHiAcK, Wrlter of the hntLgultt0n, This page in the original text is blank. - WI DR. E. E. UNDERWOOD, The Author. This page in the original text is blank. INTRODUCTION. Newell Dwight Hillis in his admirable essay on The Uses of Books and Reading has given us a charming paragraph whose noteworthy truth aptly illustrates at once both the character of the book and its author whose pleasure it is mine to introduce to you. Here is the paragraph in part:- -Books also preserve for us the spirit of earth's great ones, just as the cellar of the King holds wines growing more precious with the lapse of years. From time to time God sends to earth some man with a supreme gift called genius. Passing through our life and world, lie sees wondrous sights not be- holden of our eyes, hears rielodies too fine for our dull hearing. What other men behold as bits of coal, his genius transmits into diamonds. In the darkness lhe sleeps to see some 'Midsummer Night's Dream ;' ill the day he wakens to behold the tragedy or com- edy in his friend's career. While lie muses, the fires of inspiration burn within him. When the time comes, the inner forces burst out iin book or song or poem, just as the tulip bulb when April comes publishes its heart of fire and gold. The book he writes is the choicest. wine in life, tlle gold madel fine in the fires of his genius." You have but, to read thre pages of this lbook-A Brief History of The Colored Churches of Frankfort-to discover how truly is pre- served within it the spirit of earth's great ones. Oh, what exceed- 'ag rich and precious memories of spiritual greatness and real glory are treasured here! What work and labor of love which God is not unrighteous to forget-which if we forget may our right hand forget her cunning-if we do not remember may our tongue cleave to the roof of our mothl.! But this briefhistory has been written-lest we forget, lest we forget! And you have but to see the wondrous sights and hear the fine melodies presented to us by the anagic pen of our historian, as well as physician, minister, editor, orator, poet, politician and withal philanthropist, to understand that the author of this book-Edward Ellsworth Underwood-is one of the men whom from time to time God sends to earth with a supreme gift called genius and that the book he writes is the choicest wine in life. Praying that this volume in its evangel of righteousness and peace and. holy joy may bear the reader on toward Heaven and God, I remain, Yours for Christ, E. T. Fishback. This page in the original text is blank. PREFACE. After some misgivings and much delay, I have decided to give to the citizens of.Ftatikfort, this brief history of her colored Churcheds While it is, of necessity, not complete in every detail, yet, it will 1possibly give to the interested readers a fairly good knowledge of these religious organizations whieb have dobe so much for the bet- iterment of the race in this city, and for the salvation of thousands 'of immortal souls. It is to be hoped that this little volume will be preserved in our libraries, that those who peruse its pages, after having read, the. his- 'tory of religious work among our people from the days of the pio. .neers down to the present time may be inspired to higher and nobler planes of Christian duty and fellowship. If it will but serve this purpose, the author will feel antsply repaid ,for the effort, feeble tbough it be. Grateful acknowledgement is largely due.a'nd is hereby tendered -the Rev. E. 'T. Fishback. Rev. Rob't litcelle, D. D., Prof. Wm. H. Mayo, Rev. W. R. Todd, Rev. Edward Campbell, Mr. Thomas L. Brooks, Miss W.(-Aunette)Scott, Dr. E. R. Lewis and others for in- 'valuable aid. - Thut this little pamphlet may serve a useful purprse, and redound ato the welfare of both the Church and race is my mnost earnest desire. E. E. Underwood, Frankfort, Ky. Mardh 15, 1906. This page in the original text is blank. THE FIRSTBAPTIST CHURCH. The white and colored people worshiped together until 1833. Beginning with that year certain leading members of the white Bap- tist Church thought it wise for the colored people to worship siepa- rately. Foremost among these were Messrs. Joe Graves and John Balsell; the latter was a hatter of this city. The two colored men taking a leading part in this moven;ent m-ere NeLssrs. John Ward and Ziah Black. The formerdonDated the lot where the present building now stands. The deed was made to the First Baptist Church in the year of 1844. The colored Baptists, however, worshipped in differ- eent private houses prior to the occupancy or the present building. The first pastor was Rev. Henderson Williams, a great preacher in his day. He began services with the church in 1838, and served it four or five years. After'him came another pastor who remained with the church but a short time. His namne seems entirely forgotten. Then came Rev. James Monroe who was called to the Church in 1845. He was a powerful preacher, and accomplished much for the advancement of the Master's Cause during tbe nineteen years of his pastorate. Many persons came into the church who afterward were' -distinguished as prominent leaders in Lhe denomination in the state, notably among whom were Q. B. Jones, the Burneys, Smiths, rlthom- ases etc. These were years of great spiritual growth. Following Rev. Monroe. came Rev. Rob't Martin, a man of deep piety, a forceful preacher and an excellent pastor, who for twenty years led this flock. Perhaps the most marvellous growth of the church came under the administrative ability of Rev. Martin. He baptized hundreds, many of whom stand to-day as conspicuous leaders in the church, The distinguished Baptist layman Wm. H. Steward Esq., of Louis- -ville, was baptized into the fellowship of this church by him. FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. When Rev. Martin resigned to take up his residence in the State of Kansas, the Church called Rev. George W. Patterson of Midway, Ky., who began a brilliant career in the Church's history, but he did not remain more than three years; however, several members date their coming into the Church to the time of Rev. Patterson. Rev. Eugene Evans, of Bowling Green, Ky., was called in the winter of 1887, baptizing several hundreds and greatly strengthening the Church in every respect. He brought it tip to the standard of worship which was held by other leading churches. The Sunday Sechool prospered under him as never before. It very often out-ranked in attendance any School in the State. The latest methods of worship were introduced both in C(hlureh and School. Rev. Evans having been called to Pniladelphia, the Church calltd Rev. J. W. Hawkins, who rendered splendid services. Under his management the Church raised the largest collection in its hisiory, in fact the largest of any Church in the State. The collection amounted to over 1,600, astonishing the entire communjity. He baptized several persons into the fellowc-hfip of the Church. Be re- signed to go to Paducah, leaving a timusand dollars in tCe treasury to purchase a lot on which to. erect a new Church.- He served the Church four and one half years. The Church then called Rev. Robert Mitchell A. M. D. (1., of Lexing- ton, Kv., who came and took up the work where Rev. Hawkins left it. The Church at once proceeded to purchase a lot, paying four thousand dollars for it. One thousand dollhrs was paid cashl, and two years given to pay the remainder. At the expiration of the time, the sum of three thousand dollars was paid and the Church freed from debt. Plans were immediately drawn, and the City Council was asked for a permit to build a new Church, but the petition was ignored. The adjacent property holders refused to sign the petition, and the City government became actively in sympathy with th. movenlent to prevent Its erection. Dr. Mitchell and the Board of Trustees, however, were not discouraged. They proceeded to have the old buildings torn down, and let the contract for the new building to Michael Buckley, a well known contractor. The beginning of the excavation was followed Ly the issuance of warrants of arrest for the contractor and the Trustees for alleged violation of city .rdinance. Upon being arraigned before Judge W. C. Herndon in th e Police Court, His Honor decided that under the then existing ordinance 5 FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. he had no power to fine, and dismissed the wairants. Work was again begun. In the meantime, the Council passed a new ordinance, to fit the cause at issue, coverkiig-defects in old ordi- nance. Under this new ordinance, the contraetor, Trustees and each laborer were arrested, taken before the PoliceJudge and fined. The pastor and officers of the Church thiv-e took an appeal to the Circuit Court,praying for an injunction to prevent the city authori- Cies from interfering with the erection of a house of worship. The Circiit Clerk granted this temporary injunction . At the April term of the Court in 1908, His JonofJudge Jarmes E. Cantrill dissolved this injunction, with the iii1iprecedented and re- markable declaration that "a Negro Church is a nuisance,' per se." Appeal was immediately taken to the Cou rt of Appeals, praying for a perpetual injunction, the case being docketed and styled "Boyd &c.. vs. Board of Councilmen of Frankfort." The case was argued wlumrnes in the case Judge J. ]E. Hazelrigg and Hon. Jas. A. Scott for the Chureh and Judge Ira Jul- ian for the city. The case was considered by the whole Court, and at the February term in 1904, the perpetual injunction was granted in a most learn- ed opinion by Judge Settle,-the unanimous opinion of the Court, from which opinion, the following is an extract: H "The term 'nuisance' has a well defined legal meaning. A thing can not be declared a nuisance, which is in fact not a nuisance. In Branmon's Treatise on the Fourteenth Amendment, it is sitd 'a municipal corpi ration can not treat as a business that which can not be such (page 174), and that a city or town can not, by its mere dec- laratf`6 in that a thing is a public nuisance, make a nuisance of that whiqhji! not essentially such.. The question of nuisance or no nui- sance is one for juldicial review.' "In the case at bar it is contended for appellees that the ordinance which manifestily Cab passed to prevent the erecting of the appellants church building, confets. upon the common council the power to de- clare that a church building not yet erected, and which, when erect- ed, will not be a nuisWiice, is a nuisance. If it- be possible that the colored Baptist peopliVAe hiold their church services in an orderly way, then the building of their church can not be held to be a nui. sance. 6 FIJr BAPTIST CHURCH. "In Pfingst v.-Senn, 94 Ky., 556, this court held that injunction wgaiust a.;iivatend nuisance will not be granted when the thing Complained ot is no. r ie a nuisance, but may or not become so ac- cording to direiM46n4 and when -it is uucertain, indefinite or contingent, or produetivi of only possible injiry. ;The opening of a beer garden, dancing hall and bowling alley ia a city will not be enjoined, although the same place of amusement as fo.-erlyv c6 t -may ha-ve been a nuisance.' Itvvould he struftW fideed, to find it announced in the law books, orltbdnm'itntivg 1declared by aniy court of final resort, that a bee,r garden or 1anhing hail may exist in a city, yet, a. brick,fireproof church may not be erected or maintained therein, and, as argued by counsel, is the faet that the members of the First (colored) Baptist Church sango louder in thbir'bld and delapidated building than was agreeable to some of the contiguous residents any evidence that auc't would be their manner of singing in the fhew one XT: k IJview of these authorities, the police judge was without tle power to hold, and the common council of the city of Frankfort in rejecting appellants' request for a permit to erect the church buiedi'ngj, was.s without authority to'declhire a house to 'be erected and dedicated to the worshuip Qf God, a nuisance. TIlere eam be no doubt 'otf .te 'fi'ght of appellantS tto ma 1illaiil this action. 'The law authorizing it has been repeatedly declared by this court. . ; r ;, , g . We lhave reached the conclusion thfit peitmission to erect the church buildiig was denied the appellants for no olher rea'on than ihlit the., worship therein, and thereafter to be conducted- was ad 16 - tionable to t1he inrmedhitte neighbors, and thi'e further faq`.J'. to be disguised that this objection to the 'ere'ction of the builig-is largely based upon race prejudice. However p ,thlis prejxive may be, whene it superinduces unjust discrimjnatipDi in the4 jgust- ment of niere legal rights, it becomes obnloxious to the Ila. .j B3eing of the opinion that the'brdinance complained of is'unconstitV, tional for the reasons hereinbefore stateid, and that the prosecutioQ of the appellants in the police courts well as the refusal of the council to permit them to erect their church -building attenipted to be justified. under such oidinance, were unauthorized by law, the FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. Judgment of the lower court is reversed, and cause remanded, with directions to that court to grant appellants the relief asked, to per- petuate the injunction, and for such other prooeedinvis as may not be inconsistent with this opinion." The decision was not only a great victory for the Chureh, and the attorneys, but also for the Negro race. In this connection it is but fitting to commend the heroism and fidelity of Col. Scott, and Judge Hazelrigg, the latter having refus- ed employment on the other side, preferring to take the Church's side of the case, While this legal conflict was going on under the administration of Dr. Mitchell,' the spiritual interests of the Chuteh were not neg- lected, as more than two hIund'ed and fifty persons were baptized and received into membership during the five' and onebhalf years of his pastorate. In May 1903, Rev. Mitchell accepted a call to the First Baptist Church of Kansas City, Kan. In June 1903, the Rev. C. C. Wakefield was called to supply the pulpit, which he did acceptably and ably until March 1904 Al- though a young man, his preaching was very acceptable, and the Church flourished spiritually and temporally. A significant fact in his pastorate, was the conversion and receiving into the Cburch of a large number of old people, to shine as stars in his crown. It was during his administration also that the farmous decision of the Court of Appeals was rendered. In March 1904, the Rev. W. R. Payne, A. M.. A. B., D. D.. Pro. fessor of languages in the State University, was called, taking charge on the thirteenth day of the month. He served the Church for one year. Dr. Payne was an able and forceful preacher. His adminis- tration, however, was a stormy one. In April 1905 the Church called Rev. W. T. Silvey, D, D., the present pastor. He assumed the reins on the third Sunday in June 1905. Almost as by magic, he united the membership, aud wiped out all dissensions. The work of raising money for the erection of the new building was begun, and a handsome sum is now on hand for that purpose. The Church is thoroughly alive and Dr. Silvey is proving himself indeed a great and powerful shepherd of his flock. The officers of the First Baptist Church are Rev. W.T. Silvey, D.D., 8 9 FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. Pastor and Moderator; B. D. Madison, Church Clerk; A. M. Williams, Ass't Clerk; -A. D. Coleman, Treasurer. BOARD OF DEACONS. Henry Steward, Chairman, George Washington, BTrnnU m Graves, Simeon.Buckner, J6hn McCann, Byrus Combs, Granville Hawkins, Wyatt Beatty. BOARD DEACONESSES Frances Hocker, Martha Garrett, Beattie Beckley, cock, Julette Thompson, Ann Graves. BOARD OF TRUSTEES. M. E. Boyd, Chairman. T. L. Brooks, Wm. Nelson. Miss Virginia M. Madison, Organist, Miss Elnora Boyd, Assistant Organist. Its membership is as follows:- Mary Han- Adams, B. B. Adams, Mary Frank Allen, Cordia, Anderson, Anpie Anderson, Ellen Beatty, Sally Beecham, Sarah Bell, Lloyd Berry, Emma B. ]Jerry, Robert Berrynian, Charlotte Black, Harry Black, Willie Blackburn, touisa Bolden, Carrie Boyd, Augustus Boyd, Mary E. Brooks, Chas. Brooks, Ennima J Brooks, Jennie 1 Brooks, Maggie I Brooks, Mary L. E Brooks, Thos. L. I Baker, F1lorence Banks;, Maggie Banks, William Beatty, Alice Beatty, Maria Beatty, Verletta Beckley, Beattie Bell, Ldvenia Berry, Mary Berry, Silas Beverly, Robert' Black, Lewis Blackburn, Benj. Plackburn, William Bolden, Edward Boyd. Charity A. Boyd, Martin E. Browder. Christine 3rown, Annette Brown, Edward 3rown, Geneveive Brown, Heniy Brown, Jane Baker, Sallie Banks, Ellen Beard, Mary Beatty, John R. Jr. Bea'tty, Mary J. Beatty, Wyatt Bell, Kati,-, Bepnett, Rose Berry, Mary Berryman, Annie Beverly, Serilda Black, Moses Blackburn, Ellen Blades, Esther Booker, George Boyd, Elnora Bright, Virginia Brown, Alice: Brown, Ohas. Brown, Fannie Brown, Hattie Brown. Huldah Brown, Julia FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. 10 JBrown,, Lizzie Brown, Lue Brown, Robert Bryant, Josie Buckner, Mariahl Buckner, Siiueon Burns, Einlma Bush, William Butler, Malida Butler, Rose Bean, Anna MI. C. Callery, Pansy CCampbell, Cynthia Carr, Cassie Carroll, Laura Carter, John Chambers, John Chambers, Minnie Chatmuan, Alice Childs, Beattie Childs, George Clay, Beittie Clay, Jas.,B. Clay, Nancy Coleman, Amanda Coleman, Clara R. Coleman, Harry Coleman, Milton Collins, George Collins, Pattie Combs, Benj, B. Combs, Kate Combs, Tena Conda, Laura Oox, Lizzie Craig, Lizzie Dale, Horace Davis, Pearl Dickerson, Cora Dotson, Florida Dotson, Lucy A. Brown, Lucien Brown, Mahata. Brown, Rose Bryant, Sarah Buckner, Robert Buford Lydia Bushl, Lou Butcher, Harriet Butler, lklanmie Butler. SaitnueL C-llery, Clara (Oallery, Tillie Campbell, Ellen Ctarroll, Beiij. Carter, Ann Chambers, Addie Clhambers, Laura Chambers, Pat Clialztana, Arch Chiildi, Katie Childs, Mattie Clay, Georgia Clay, Jennie Cl'ay, Stephen Coleman, A. D. Coleman, Dolly Coleman, Isaac Coleman, Nannie C. Collins, John Collins, Taylor Combs, Byrns Combs, Mamie Conda, Isabella C. Conda, Rachel Cox, Mariah. Crittendon, John Dnvis, Emma Browni, Luev Brown, Mairy Bryant, Henrietta Berry, Susie Buckiner, Sidiey B urley, Mriary Bush, Ma1ggie Butler, James Butler, Matilda Batler, William Callery, Maggie Caellery, Willie J. (C rllmel, Ir 4ne Carroll, Eiiza Carter, Fralik clhambe rs, Janmes Chuambers, Lizzie Chase, Floyd Cl11at inan, Arelije Childs, Fieldiiig Chisley, Alice Clay, Helen Clay, Katie Clifford, Annie ..Coleman, Benjamin Coleman, Ellen' Coleman, Lulu L. Collins, Edward Collins; Mary Collins, Winnie Combs, Georgie Combs, Richard Conda, Jane D. .,Cox, Jacob) Craig, Annie Dale, Agnes Davis, Mary Dickerson, Bessie Dickerson, Clarissa Dickerson , fDbra - -Dorsey, Katie . Dotson, Mrs. Harry Dotson, Lucy D,upee, Sally' ; '! Edwards, Jane 10 FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. Edwards, Maggie Evans, Russell Evans, Willie Frazier', Bell Fields, Hallie J. Gaines, Mary Bllen Gatewood, Anna, Gatewood, Maggie B Golden, Martha Graves, Alpha Graves, Lloyd Grant, Annie Green, America Green, Martha Green, William Gurdgel, Mittie Jr. Hall, Retta Hamilton, Fannie Haneock Joanna Hancock, Mary Handy, Mary Handy Rebecca Harris, Clabe Harris, Mattie Harris. Zoll Hawkins, Cora Hawkins, Ruth Haydon, Percy Henry, Ira Hicks, Annie Hicks, Lee Holmes, Clarence Holmes, Katie Howard. Anthony Howard, Mary Jackson, Nancy Johnson, Annie Johnson,'Elnora Jr. Johnson, Florence Johnson, Henrietta Johnson, Letitia Ellison, Florence Evans, Sidney Fields, Susie Frazier, Benj. Gaines, Frances Garrett, Martha Gatewood, Bedford Gears, Robert Gordon, James W. Graves, Ann Graves, Sally Grayson, Maggie Green,. Ad. Green, Patrick Sr. Greenup, Sallie Gurdgel, Mittie Sr. Hall, William Hancock, Chas. Hancock, Judel Handy, Eliza Handy, Mary Handy, Serilda Harris, Edward Harris, Ogil Hawkins, Allie Hawkins, Granville Hnwkins, Sadie Haves. Lou Henry Maggie Hicks, Josie Hocker, Frances Holmes, Cornelia Holmes, Lucy Howard, Julia Irvin, Eliza Jackson, Nora Johnson, China Johnson, Elnora Sr. Johnson, Frank Jr. Johnson, Katie Johnson, Lillie Ellis, James Scott ]Evans, Ward Foree, Kate Frazier, Henry Gaines, Lou Garrett, Paul Gatewood, Cornelia Glenn, Mary Graves, Alice Graves, Brannum Graves, Samuel T. Grayson, Henry Green, Kate Green, Sarah Gurdgel, Aaron Hall, Nellie Hamilton, Ben Hancock, James Hancock, Katie Handy, Frances Handy Mary L. Hardrick, Maggie L, Harris, Henry Harris, William Hawkins, Anna Hawkins, Louvenia. Haydon, Carrie Henry, Annie Hickman, Hallie Hicks, Huntis Hocker, Jesse Holmes, Harriet Howard, Addie Howward, Lethia Jackson, Beattie Jasper, Mattie [ohnson, Edvenia Johnson, Eugene Johnson, Frank Sr Johnson Laura Johnson, Maria 11 FIRST BAPTIST CHzURCH. Johnson, Maggie E. Johnson, Mary Johnson, Mattie Johnson Philicus Jones, Carrie Jones, Sallie Jordan, Harriet Kennedy, Mary Jessie Kimbly, Ella Lankford, Matilda Letcher, Helen Lewis, John, Jr. Logan, Charlotte Love, Charles Love, Isaac Lrwry, Chas, Lundernian, Vemont Madison, B. D. Mangan, L)ttie Martin, Annie Martin, Henrietta Martin, Mmartha Maxey, Katie McCann, Caroline McCary, Marv B. McIntosh, Mary Miller, Helena Mitchell, Emma Monie, Bessie Morgan, Fannie J. Morris, Josephine Morton, Julia Morton, Tena Mosby, Mary Mukes, George Nelson, Kate Newman, Helen Norman, Anna B. Oliver, Margaret Page, Laura B. Johnson, Mariah Johnsorn, Mary H. Johnson, Mollie Johnson, Wesley Jones, Joseph Jones, Willie Jordan, Maggie Kennedy, Mollie Kimbly, Luther Lee, Henry Letcher, Henry Lewis, Ei ttie Ann Loomis, Mary Love, Geneveive Love, Luey -owry, Susie Lyle, Annie Sliza Matdison. Cordelia. Marsliall, Chlarles Martin, Einaline Matrtin, Henry Martin, Walter May, Laura H. McCann, John McCary, Scottie Miles, Joseph Miller, Lettie. Monday, Anna Monie, Carrie Morgan, Leroy Morton, Einnma Morton, Martha Mosby, Emma Mosby, Spencer Mukes, Katie Nelson, Mary Eliza Newman, Mary C. Norman, Lizzie Page, Genevieve Page, Margaret Parrent, Sarai J. Johnson",Mariah P. Johnson Matilda Johnson, Naniie joilnson, Willia m Jones, Lizzie Jones, William Kelly, Sally Kimbly, Alice King, Mary Lenn, Lillie B. Letcher, Sarah Lewis, Louisa S. Loomis, Susan M. Love. Helen Love, Sylvester Lowry, Willis Lyle, Cornelia Madison, Virginiia Marsha.ll, Mollie Martin, Frank W. Matrtitn,,'1;91 agge Maxey, Crtitehler McAllister, Marv L. McCary, Bert McDonald, Laura B. Minor, Louisa Miller, Luveniia Monie, Amy Monlie, Alartha Morris, Enmma Morton, How ard Mortrii, Mr ry Pearl Mosby, Jo h nl Mukes, Caroline Murray, Mary B. Nelson, William Newman), RaclIVA Norman, Maldred Page, Granville Page, Sallie Patterson, Anrie C. 2i12 Parrent, Laura FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. Patterson, Beattie Payne, James Pittman, Dennis Pittman. Moses Quincy, Josie Ray, Joseph Reading, Richard Rhiner, George Rhiner, Lucile Richey, Annie Richardson, Roxie Ried, William Roberts, M'Alie Lee Robinson, Jennie Robinson, Lucy Robinson, Lurender Rosby, Mariah Russell, Lizzie T. Sainuels, Alice Scott, Alex. Scott, ballie A. Settles, Henry Shaw, Willki'm Simpson, Ida Slaughter, Chais. Smnith, Anna L, Stmith, Einiline Smnith, Susie Spencer, Caroline Steward, Charles Ste ward John Strange, Blanche Streets, Abram Tall, Mary Taylor, Ada Taylor, Lucy, Thlluaas, John Thomas, Lillie 'Tlhomnas, WVinnie Thompson, Lucinda Thompson, 'Toxmeey Patterson, Huston Payne, Mary Pittman, Edward Porter, Carrie Quincy, Mallie Reading, Johnson Redd, Mary H. V. Rhiner, Maggie Rice, Frances Richey, Corinne Richey, Jerry Riley, Jerry Robinson, America Robinson, Jerry Robinson, Mattie Rollins, Elvira Russell, Eliza Russell, Lue Samuels, Lizzie Scott, John Scruggs. Henry Settles, Louisa Shelt(n, John Simpson, Josie Sleets, Eimnia Smith, Callie M. Snuith, Martha -Snell, Emma Spencer, Julia Steward, Henry Steward, Lizzie Strauder, Laura Streets, Viney Tall, Sarah Tavlor, Ellen Thomas, Addie ThomasJohn Anthony Thomas, Maud R. Thompson, Eliza Thompson, Lucy M. Payne, Chas. A. Penny, Cordelia Pittman, Isaac Poynter, Ellen Rhodes, Mariah B.. Reading, Maud Redd, Eunice L, Rhiner, Luvenia Richardson, Rate Richey, Daisy Richey, Lulu Roberts, John Robinson, Edward Robinson, Kate Robinson,Mary Ellen Rosby, John Russell, Ernest Russell, Robert Saunders, Julia Scott, Sallie Scruggs, Letitia Shaw, Mary S1helton, John T-. Simpson, Louisa P. Smnith, Anna Smith, Cbas. Smith, Mattie Spencer, Alice Spencer, Sue Steward, Isabella Steward, Nancy C. Strauss, Ellen T. Sutton, George Tall, Samuel Taylor, Ida Thomas, Hattie Thomar., Katie Thomas, Todd ThOmPsOn, Julette rhompson, Melissa Tompkins, Maud 13 Thornton, Rosa FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. Trent, Martha H. Turner, Rilla Twyman, Lucy Underwood, Sarah W. Vinegar, Patsey Wakefield, Susie Walker, Lucy Washington, Kittie V Washington, Sidney Watts, Maldred J, White, Ab. White, Emma B. White, John Whitney, S iney Williams, A. M. Williams, George Williamnx, Harriet Williams, Mary Williams, Samuel Wilson, M'ary Woods, Mary Wright, Gibie Washington, Gao. Alcorn, Sally D. Bt-rry, Bessie Beverly., Cordia'H. Boclare, Susie W. Brown, Emma E. J. Callery, Rosa Chadwell, George Chinn, Laura Coleman, Lilian N. Collins, Lucy M. Dickerson, Sadie L. Forrest, Ellen Glenn, Roddie Graham, Thomas Hall, Christine Riley, Emma Taylor, Lizzie 0. Turley, Dolly Turner, Robert Twyman, Mariah Vinegar, Jane Wade, Kittie Walcutt, Allie Walker, Maggie 7Vnshington, Margaret Washington, Walker Welch, Archie White, Alonzo White, Eminia WhitM, Maggie Whittaker, Annie I Williams, Edna E- X Wlilliams, Georgia N Willitams, Lewis Willintms, Mlary Wilson, Annie D. IV Wilson. Mrs. Geo. I Woolfolk, Alice B. Walker, Mlariah H. Ward, Maggie Y Bailey, Clarence Berry, Levi ' Bltn toii, W. S. Bridges, Virgie Brown, Lucy T. ] Callery, Nettie G. ( Chase. Florida 4 Chinn, Martha C Coleman, Nancy J. ( Colwell, Viney H. C Darncan, Adell F. F: Furguson, Annie J. G] Graham, Mariah G Green, Mary K. Gr Hall, Robert PE Riley, Mattie E Turner, Eliza Twyman, Hattie Twyman, Wesley 'Vinegar, Jeunie Lee Wakefield, C. C. Walker, Daniel Warren, Caroline Washington, Martha Waters, Lizzie West, Bettie P. White, Clayborne White, Gertrude Wfhite, Sarah Wilkins, Mary H. D. Villiams, Fred Villilnis, Georgiana Williams, Martha E. Villiams, Rebecca Vilson, Christinie M. Wilson, Robert Woolridge, Mariah Webster, Mary L. B. oung, Minnie K. Beatty, Wm. T. 3erry, rhomas Bloomer, Nancy S. Brown, Ella 31ush, George Jarter, Ellen H. Childs, Mary'B. /hiinn, Nellie Collins, EvaL ,lark, Amanda ields, Caroline Ml. ass, Fmma T. raham, Allhrtha rissuin, Matilda arrent, Sadie Rhiner, Geo, Jr. 14 FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. THE FIRST BAPTIST SUNDAY SCHOOL. The First Baptist Church has an excellent Sunday School of over two hundred scholars. The following are the officers and teachers of the Sunday School: Miss M. E. Williams, Superirtaendent; Mr. T. L. Brooks, Ass't Superintendent; Miss Mary Tall. Secretary; Miss Mary C. Newman, Ass't Secretary- Miss Nannie C. Coleman, Treasurer; Miss Lulu L. Coleman, Missionary Treasurer; Wm. Blackburn, Librarian; Mrs. Amanda Coleman, Organist; M1iss Marietta Madison, Ass't Organist. TEACHERS-Rev. W. T. Silvy, Mr. J. W. Burns, Mliss Lulu L. Coleman, Mr. Thos. L. Brooks, Miss Nannie C. Coleman, Mr. T. J. Buford, Miss Virgie Silvy, Prof. W. W. Wilson, Mrs. Amanda Cole- man, Mrs. Lizzie Waters, Mrs. Isabella Conda, Miss Charity A. Boyd, Rev. Crutcher Maxey, Mrs. Mary Mosby, Mrs, Mary L'Brooks. Rev. W. T. Silvy, D. D., (Pastor of The First Baptist Church.) Rev. W. T, Silvy, D. D., the present pop1Ilar pastor of the First Baptist Church is a native of Ohio, h'tving been born in X enia, Green county, Ohio, in March 1850. His education was recived in the public schools of his inative city, and he early began the profession of teaelbirng, being employed in "teaching the young idea how to shoot" in Ohio and KentulCky for fifteen years. He was successful in the vocation of teaehing, and later was called to the gospel ministry. He has pastored chiirclele in Eddyville, Kuttawa, Parkersvilley Mayfield, Guthrie, Eopkinsiville, Providence Corydon, Cleaton and other plaees.. Duirinv his pIstor- ate he built eight Church buildings, and his labors wereblessed with hundreds of conversions. Dr. Silvy also served two years as Grand Chief of the Order of Good Samaritans of Kentucky, and his adminzistration was alike cred- 15 - FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH 16 itable to himself and the order. Dr. Silvy assumed charge of the First Baptist Church of Frankfort in June, 1905, and his management of the affairs of his Church has been eminently satisfactory. He is universally and deservedly pop- ular with the members of his Chureh and the people at large. The First Baptist Church is united under his leadership as never before -in the last quarter of a century. All factional feeling has been com- pletely wiped out, and all forces are marshalled for the building of the new edifice. As a pulpit orator, Dr. Silvy takes high rank, being an earnest, -effective and eloquent preacher. As a pastor, he has won for him- ;self the respect and affection of his flock. As a citizen, he is pub- olic spirited and aggressive, and a brilliant advocate of the rights -and advancement of his down--trodden race. This page in the original text is blank. tZ ii :I "4 i0 Q w ':D tH H pf H1 4 I 7:I I .:, " 'M . t. .. . This page in the original text is blank. 52 1EVX-. W. T. SILVY. D. D., Pastor of the First Baptist Church. This page in the original text is blank. Mr. John McCann. Mr. Wvatt Beatty. Mr. Simeon Buckner. Mr. Brannum GraveS. Mr. Henry Steward. Mr. George Wa.hiington. BOARD OF DEACONS, FIRST BAPTIST CHURCH. This page in the original text is blank. Mrs. Eeattie Beckle y. Mrs. Martha Garrett. Mrs. Mary Hancock. Mrs. Frances Hocker. BOARD OF DEACONESSES, FIRST BAPTIST CI[URCIH. W: v This page in the original text is blank. Mr. Williamu Nelson. Mr. Martin E. Boyd. Mr. Thomas L. Broo'ks. BOARD OF TRUSTEES, FIRST T3APTTST CHURCH, This page in the original text is blank. -J MR. B. D. MADISON. Clerk of the Fiist Baptist Church. This page in the original text is blank. SIR. ANDERSON MN. WILLIAMS, Assistant Clerk of the First Baptist Church. This page in the original text is blank. And : : :: i s :: w : :: x :FF; A: s s Ait. ANDIREW D. COLEMAN, Treasurer of the First Baptist Church, This page in the original text is blank. MISS VIRGINIA NI. MADISON, Organist of the FSirst Baltist Church. IATRS. ELE ANNOIA AM. WILLIAMS. Assistant Organiht of the First IBaptitt ckaUECII. This page in the original text is blank. BEV. JAMES W. GORDON, Local Preacher, First Baptist Church. rIEMV. CR VT C H E ItAX"Y, Local PRtoacher, First Bapt'st Chur'ch- This page in the original text is blank. 1sltV. C. C. WAIKEFI' L1, An Ordained Mlinibtel in the First Baptist Church. This page in the original text is blank. P1ROF. WM. W. WILrsON, President of B. Y. P. U. of the First Bai)tist Church. This page in the original text is blank. M. E. O w H . P 0G r m. W 0 f.. '. ,' . A P. -. ,. :,, _MA .. I' ' .:' ' r7.... . ,.. A This page in the original text is blank. MISS MARTHA E. WILLIAMS, Superintendent of the First Baptist Sunday-school. MRS. AMANDA M. COLEMAN, Organist of the First Baptist Sunday-school. This page in the original text is blank. ZuluS. MARYNIOSIlY, The oldest teacher of the First Baptist Sunday-school. This page in the original text is blank. C 0 rj2 0 VI- H 0 tr:d P ror -&ox T ' t-I. v,,_ 00 x 0 F to I This page in the original text is blank. THE CORINTHIAN BAPTIST CHURCH. (Formerly Ind. Baptist Church.) This Church was organized at its present location, Auguet 81, 1876. A temporary organization was effected, at 8 p'. m., by several members separated from the First Baptist Church (colored), bf this city, and whose names are as follows: Tab Smith, Henry Samuel., Thomas Lee, Jerry Eeasly, William Crampton, Nancy Mortol, Mary B. Combs, Frederick Blanton, Josephine Clark, Maria Allen, John H. Thomas, Lucinda Price, Sarah L. Smith, Anna M. Lee, Charley Buck- ner, Caroline Washington, Rose Hickman, Robert Loomis and Mary Crampton. The above named Christians had been duly recognized, on July 24, 1876, by the First Baptist Church (white), of this city. as an ijde- pendent body, -and were tendered the right, to organize a church un- der the rules and regulations governing the Baptist denomination. Tile document attesting this fact was signed by S. R Graham, at that time the Clerk of the aforesaid Church. At this meeting, Henry Samuels was chosen as Moderator pro-tem with John H. Thomas as clerk. Among the distinguished visitors were Rev. Green Clay Smith, of the above named church, and Rev. James Thomas. After a very pleasant and earnest deliberation, the said meeting was adjourned until 7:30 p. m., of the same day. At the appointed time the temporary organization was called to or- -der bv Henry Samuels, and John H. Thomas acting as clerk. Henry Samuels declined to serve longer as Moderator, and Rev. James Thomas was called to preside. The following additional persons, upon their-own request were ad- -ded to the list of the organization: Patsy Harris, Richmond Fend- )rick, Maria De Marrs, Harriet Beasley, Guy Owens, Rob.rt Parrent, Wil iam Mosby, Gibson Hockedy, Spencer Mosby, Emma Smith, 17 1HE CORITHIAN BAPTIST CHURCH. Nannie D. Smith, Frankie Buckner, Lizzie Morton, America Wool drige, Martha Martin, Alice Turner, Jane Taylor, Margaret Griffin B. J. Crampton, Sarah Parrenit, Jane Lilliard, Ellen Coleman. Mary L. Samuels, Laura Williams, Harriet' Warren, Solomon Warren, Charlotte Crampton, Matilda Jackson, Maria Fendrick, Jerry Wash- ington, Jennie Mosby, Martha Smith, Sophronia Miller. The temporary organization then proceeded to permanently organ- ize under the name of '"The First Independent Colored Baptiet C hurch "and elected as officers to serve until December annual meeting of the same year the following: Thomas Lee,. Moderator; John H. Thomas, C 'hurch Clerk: Tab Smith, Treasurer; Tab Smith, John El. Thomas, Frederick Blanton, William Cramnpton, Thomas Lee and Robert Parrent, Deacons. Some of the above named members were from the First Baptist Church (white)," andOy reqszest they were granted letters of dismis- ion. Rev. James H. Parrish, of Louisville, y., Oct. 12, 1876, was the first pastor callpd to.-take charge of this, flock. After many trials iaud tribulatiors. as bire aldways natural in a new Church, Rev. Parrish was succeeded Oct. 12, 1879, by Rev. C. C. Stumm. In I the selection of Rev. Stumrm the Cl:urch made a wise choiee. He WIas an intellectual Christian gentleman, and was instrumental in doing mutch towards promoting the spiritual and intellectual weifare of the church. Rev. Reuben Strauss was called March 16, 1882, as successor to Rev. Stumm. His administration lasted only a few months, and the Church next called to its pastorate Rlev. James M. Mason, whose work in this field continued until May 12,1884. The Church next decided.to try Rev. E. Richey, who assumed the pastoral charge by a call Oct. 27, 1884. Rev. Richev had also a short and uneventful administration. Rev. R. H. C. Mitchell was elected pastor August 6, 1885, and was duly installed August 9, 1885. During the pastorate of Rev. Mitchell, two very important and vital events took place. The first was the re-establishment of harmo- ny between the First Baptist Church (colored), of this city, and the Independent Baptist Church. This was a great achievement for the pastor of this Church, as he was. instrumental in reuniting the bap- THE CORINTHIAN BAPTIST CHURCH. continued to exist between the churches, and has been of much ad- vantage in the progressive development, of the community. The second event of this administration was the erection, in 1887, of a'substantial and commodious brick edifice for cheurh worship, on the vacant lot in front of the old chapel. Much zeal and love were manifested by the members in the building of this monument which stands as an honor to their memory. For six years Rev. Mitchell labored inthlis vineyard, but having received a call to the First Baptist Church in Henderson, Ky. , the Church temporarily called Rev. W. H. Craighead to serve until the annual meeting in December 1890. Rev. Wim. A -Creditt., a graduate from Lincoln University, a pro- fessor oflanguages in the State University, Louisville, Ky,, a schol- arly gentleman and anl eloquent pulpit orator was the next pastor, who was called December 18, 1.890. Rav. Creditt brought to the church a degree of Christian culture and refinement which has continued until now to be manifest in the character of the ehuli worsiliip. Diirinmr 1891, the first year of his administration, there was raised 1,660.75, averaging over 100 per month. His masterly sernmulls tnd dignified character brought large audiences to church each Sunday. It was with much regret that having received a call to the Berean Baptist Church, Washingtoni, D. C., the Independent Baptist Church lost a good pastor, duriig the stunnmer of 11892 At the regular business meeting of the Church, October 20, 1892,a call was given Rev. Benjamin XW. Farnis, of Newton Theological Seminary, Boston, Mass. He entered at once upon the discharge of his pastoral duties. It may be said truthfully of this young apostle, that he lost no time in devising plans and assisting to perfect the same, which were laid to upbuild the Church financially and spirit.' ually. Feeling that the name "First Independent Baptist Church" wias inharmonious with theChristiati. missionary spirit of the institution, Rev. Farris and Church Clerk W. H. Mayo, were successful in hav- ing the Church to change its name to that of "The Corinthian Baptist Church," by action of the members in regular business meet. ing Jaiuary 9, 1893. During the pastoral charge of Rev. Farris, he so enthused the is THE CORINTHIAN BAPTIST CHUJRCH. members with church pride that they handsomely decorated the walls, put in new and improved opera chairs and many responded cheerfully to the financial support of the-Church. He was called to perform many sad rites in honor of the dead, but the most distinguished funeral was March 8, 1894, over the remains of the lamented Tab Smith. The great loss sustained by the Church in the death of brother Smith is yet felt in the management of its. business affairs. He was a faithful and competent officer. In his last will be bequeathed to the Corintlhian Baptist Church, 500 for the purpose of erecting a parsonage upon tie lot, which our dearly beloved and deceased sister Jennie Mosby left to the Church, The whole administration of Rev. Farris wits filled with brilliant achievemuents of success. Upon the 30th day of April 1896, the resignation of Rev. Jt. W. Farris, being offered, with much regret it was accepted. He left June 14th to take charge of St. Paul Baptist Cburch, Bostoh, Mass. Rev. W. E. De Claybrook, of Portland, Maine, was elected April 80th, 1896, to sgwceed Rev. Farris, and took charge of the pastoral work, June 14, 1896. Tjthe pastorate of Rev. De Claybrook was of short'durationand un- eventful. He resigned Feb. 7, 1897, to accept the charge of a church in Kansas City, Kan. The next in line of accession to the honorable position as pastor, was the Rev, D. S. Orner, of Akron, Obio. He was elected Feb. 25, 1897, and took charge. A combination of his musical powers and oratorical ability rendered h is spiritual work very effective, and many souls were gathered into the fold by him. On March 17, 1898., Rev. D. S Orner offered his resignation as pastor to become effective March 28, 1898. He preached a most ex- cellent and soul stirring farewell sermon, and left the Church again without a pastor. Quite X large number of letters were received from ministers from different parts of this and other states, desiring to receive the call to the pastorate of the Corinthian Baptist Church. Ia order to bring about the best possible results, the Church selected a Committe consisting ol five sisters with the officers, who should nominate a suitable person to be voted upon for pastor. The female members of this committee were: Miss Winnie A. Scott, Mrs. Carrie C. Norrel, Mrs, Fannie Williams, Mrs . Martha 19 THE CORINTHIAN BAPTIST CHURCH. Miller and Mrs. Julia A. Dent. After due consideration of the many candidates, Rev. E. T . 'Fish. back, of Nebo, Ky., was duly called to the pastorate of the Church upon Monday, May 9, 1898. He began his work upon June 1st, 1898. Since the establishment of this Church, from Rev. Green Clay Smith, who served temporali- ly in the pulpit at the beginning down through all most three dec- ades of its history, no pastor has been more zealous and devoted to the cause of Christianity in our Church than 11ev. E. T. Fislhback has been. His eloquent, logical and comprehensive sermons are constantly awakening amongthe members of his congregation, a profound interest in the study of the Bible. During his administration of nearly eight years, the Church has made wonderful progress along both spiritual and financial lines. The offliers of the Corinthian Baptist Church are. Rev. E. T. Fishback, Pastor and Moderator: Clark D. Dockery, Church Clerk; William H. Mayo, Treasurer: Thotuas J. Taylor, Ac- countant. BOARD OF DEACONS. Benj, Taylor, Chairmial; D. 0. Rh)birson, Green, Bowen Dobeon, C. D. Dockery, BOARD OF TRUSTEES. D. 0. Robinson, Chairman; Wm. Its membership-is as follows: Allen. Annie P. Arnold, Katie Arthur, Mollie Booker, Emily Booker, Minnie Brown, Judiah Brown, Maggie Buckner, Henry Clay, Luella Conley. Carrie Daugherty, Fannie De Marrs, Hugh Dent, Louis Dillon, Addie .Dobson, Bowen Anderson, Jane Arthur, Della Baxter, Mary Booker, Maria Bristow, Mary Brown, Joe Brown, Obie Buckner, Nellie Combs, Elizabet Cole, Florence Daugherty, Rev Dennison, Mar3 Dent, Peter S. Dillon, Patsey Dockery, Clark Alonzo Miller, Wm. W. X. Mayo. H. Mayo, Clark D. Dockery. Anderson, Jerry Arthur, Mattie Berry, Mollie Booker, Mary A. Brown, Elizabeth Brown. Nannie Buckner, Fiorida Childs, Emma th Combs, Edmonia T. Cross, Dollie v.Jno. W. Davis, Lucy Dent, Julia A. Dickerson, Addie Dobson, Abram D,. Dotson, Mary 20 THE CORINTHIAN BAPTIST CH1URCH. Ellis, 1eatrice Ellis, Marie Ewing, Mary B. Fry, Letitia Green, William Hamline, Win. Harris, Martha Hembrick, Carrie Hiockedy, Annie L. Howard, Lizzie JDhnson, Grace Johnson, Mamie Joh nson, Mittie Johnson, Zack Kibby, Lizzie B. Lamrpkins, Rosa Lowery, Granville Marshall, Maggie Mayo, S. F. Sr. Miller, Alonzo Morris, Sidney Norrell, Carrie C. Perkins, John Perry, Nellie Reed, Ernest E. Robinson, D. Owen Robinson, Miinnie Saffel , Daisy M. Smith, Addie Smith, Maggie Spaulding, Harriet Taylor, Caroline Taylor, Reuben Thompson, Clara Todd, Annie M. Tracy, Verbena Wakefield, George Warren, .Jennie May Weaver, Eva Williams, Fannie Woolfolk, Nannie D. Ellis, Clintie Ellis, Meredith Fields, Carrie Green Garnett, Laura Griffin, Margaret Harris, Francis Elarzis, Patsey Hem brick, George Hockedy, Lottie L. Johnson, Arthur Johnson, Isabella Johnson, Maria Johnson, Stephen Juniper, SalJie Kibby, Maggie Letcher. Lina Lucas, Lucinda Mason, Jolhn Mayo, W. H. Sr. Miller, Martha .Mlorton, Aggie Norman, Emma Perkins, Maggie Pulliamn, Lizzie Riley, Robert Robiiison, Margaret Robinson. Susie Samuels, Mary Smith, Martha Stewart James Taylor, Belle Taylor, Eliza Taylor, Thomas Thompson, Emma Todd, J. C. V. Tucker, Jane Walker, Millie Warren, Mary S. Weaver, Richard Williams, Salena Ellis, Lizzie Elliot, Thomas Fish back, Sadie L. Gordon, Lizzie Hamline,. Eliza Harris, Gus Hembrick, Bertha HEembrick, Lucy Hockedy, Maria Johnson, Frank Johnson, Lena Johnson, Martha Johnson, Vira Kibby, Juniatia Kibby, Sadie M. Lewis, Martha Lueas, Martha Maayo, S. F. Jr. McKee, Nettye W, Moore, Lucy Morton, Major Partee, Ada Perry, Louise Reed, Crafton C. Robinsoin, Bettie Robinson, Maria Russell. Floreta Scott, Winnie A. Smith, Kittie King, Rosa A. Taylor, Benjamin Taylor, Ella Thompson, Bettie Thompson, Lucy M. Todd, Lettye A. Turner, Sallie W. Warren, Hettie Warren, Mollie West, Cary Woolfolk, Cordelia Woolfolk, Pauline A, 21 Young, Lucy M. THE CORINTHIAN BAPTIST CHURCH. CORINTHIAN BAPTIST SUNDAY SCHOOL. The C )rinthian Baptist Church has a flourishing Sunday School of eighty scholars . The officers are as follows: Miss W. Annett Scott, Superintendent; Miss Lizzie Ellis, Ass't Superintendent; Miss Pauline Woolfolk, Secretary; bliss Carrie HIembrick, Ass't Secretary: Mrs. Julia Dent, Treasurer; Mrs. Sadie Fishback, Organ- ist; Misses Coranel Ewing, Eugenia Dent and Warren Robinson, Librarian s. TEX-CI ERS,-Miss Nettye Mckee, Aliss Lizzie Ellis, Mrs. Sadie Fishback, iMiss Annie Todd, Miss Grace Johnson, Miss Lettye A, Todd, Miss Sadie Kibby, Rev. E. T. Fishbnck. Rev. E. T. Fishback, (Pastor of the Corinthian Baptist Church.) Rev. Eligah T. Fishback, the eloquent pastor of the Corinthian Baptist Church, was born at Pinegrove, near Winchester, Iy., April 22, 1874. His e'arly education was received in the schools of his county, finally completing a course of study at the State University, Louisville, Ky. In his early youth, he taught successfully in the common schools of Kentucky, and was at oue time a TuLtor in the State University. When quite a young man lhe was called to the Christian ministry, his first pastorate being that of the Little Flock Baptist Church11, Ne- bo, Ky. For nearly eight years, he has been the pastor of Corinthian Baptist Church, of this city, which position he has filled with conspicuous ability. Rev. Fishback has held many positions of honor and trust in his denomination, among them being, City Missionary of State Univers- ity, Member of Executive Board of Kentucky General Association, 22 23 THE CORINTHIAN BAPTIST CHUROCH. Member of EducAtional Board of National Baptist convention, Mem- ber of Executive Committee of National Baptist Young People's Un- ion, besides various positions in Sunday School conventions. Rev. Fishback is in much demand as a lecturer and public speaker, having made commencement addresses by invitation, at Frankfort, Mt. Sterling, Richmond, Carlisle, Lawrenceburg and otherplaces, and, having made the Literary Address at State University in 1903. He preached the Baccalaureate Sermon at Eckstein Norton Univer- sity in 1905. He is a writer of ability being the author of "An Atom in the World of Poetry" and also editor respectively of the "Christian Expositor" and "The Christian Minister. In the city of his adoption he is thoroughly identified with all movements for the general good of the race, being at present Presi- dent of the Ministers' League and also of the Charity Association. Rev. Fishback is a ripe scholar, an eloquent orator and a polished Christian gentleman, a credit to his Church and an honor to his race. _ _ _ _ V. _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ __I_ _ _L-_ A-w . , . ...:'3 ga lEV. E, T. F1'IMIACIK, Pastor. THE CORIN'QTHIAN BAPTISI CTMURCI. . I --- -.- ;--7-----,-,;Mmft.' I .., i . 6 It o- -/---, -- - -- - A.. This page in the original text is blank. Prof. Winx. R. Mayo. Mr. William Green. Mr. Clark D. Dockery. Mr. Benj. Taylor. Mr. D. Owen Robinson. BOARtD OF DlEACONS, CORINTHIAN BAPTIST CHURCH. This page in the original text is blank. Mrs. Harriet Spaulding. Mrs. Martlin Miller. Mrs'. Laura Garnett. Mrs. Julia A. Dent. BOATID OF DEACONIESSES, CORINTHI AN BAPTIST CH URIICH. PI .1.1.. . . -1-1 . This page in the original text is blank. M1R. CLARK D. DOCKERY, Clerk of the Corinthian Baptist Church. I This page in the original text is blank. -- V0. ._ o . 0 0 R A4 .5 7 a-, S., x This page in the original text is blank. AIiss W. ANNETTE SCOTT, ntendent of the Corinthian Baptist Sunday-schc This page in the original text is blank. 9.4" D (D lg n To F-3 1- O:: Ctw 130. At4 0 H This page in the original text is blank. THE ST. JOHN A. M. E. CHURCH. The A. M. E. Church was established in Frankfort in 1839. The first structure was built in that year on the old site on Lewis street. This building and ground was given by Mrs. Triplett, a generous hearted white lady, to her faith ful servants, Benjamin Dunmore and Benjamin Hunley. It was afterwards deeded in trust to Harry Mor- decai and George Harlan' Its first pastor was the Rev. George Harlan, who took charge of the Church in 1840. He was succeeded by the Rev. Moses Pitman. Next came the Rev. Aaron Green, who was later followed by Rev. Reuben Thomas. Along about 1850, the Rev. Henry Henderson was sent to preach to this little flock. This divine was a very successful pastor and and a very pious man of God. He carried on one of the biggest revivals in the history of the Church, nearly two hundred being brought into the fold as a result of his labors. Following him, came the Rev. Anderson Bryant, a great revivalist and noted preach- er in his day. RIe was given many conversions. Rev. Jacob Williams was the next preacher, and a great and pow- ful preacher he was and his labors were richly rewarded. After his service came the Rev. Henry Hensly, who was followed by Rev. Leroy Brar.num. This brings the Church down to the days of Emancipation. The first pastor after freedom was Rev. William Brown. Follow- ing him in succession comes Rev, Henry J. Young, Rev. Ross Lee, Rev. Jilson Francis, Rev. Geo. H. Schaffer. All of these have been long since called to their reward, with the exception of the Rev. Schaffer. He yet lives as an honored and faithful servant of his church and race. During his pastorate, he licensed his brother, now Bishop C. T. Schaffer, D. D. Be was followed by the Rev. Washington Hill. Rev. Hill was succeeded by the Rev. Grafton Graham, one of the most eloquent pul. pit orators which the race has ever yet produced. Rev. Graham THE ST. JOHN A. M. E. CHURCH. was not only a great orator, but he was also exceptionally well vers- ed in the holy scriptures. Next came, in the early seventies, the Rev. Alfred Newman and Rev' J. C. Waters. Afterwards, came the Rev. B. F. Lee, who af- terwards went to the front in his Church becoming President of Wilberforce University, Editor of the Christian Recorder, and later a devout and valued member of the Board of Bishops, which he yet lives to fill. His pastorate in Frankfort was for a period less than a year, being followed by Rev. J. W. Riley. Rev. Chas. Herbert, Rev. Jesse Hen- derson, Rev. Geo. Steamer, and Rev. Levi Evans were the next pas! tors,-all of them being true and devout in their calling. In 1880, Rev.D. S. Bentley, who is yet living, was selit to the pas- torute of the Church. Rev. Bentley was blessed with a big revival in 1882 resulting in the conversion of iiearly one hundred souls and tile Church was greatly advanced. Dr. Bentley remodeled the old Church during his adnministratioin, received a deed from the M. E. Church in the name of the A. M. E. Church, and had it named the "St. John A. M. E. Church." This was in 1881. Dr. Bentley was suceeesded by the Rev. John W. As4bury, D, D., a most fervent and eloquent orator, and a member of a family of great preachers, there being three brothers of this great divine also in the ministry. He remained only a few months. Following him cme successively, Rev. Ware, Rev. J. F. Thomas, anid Rev. CrowdiAs, all of whom rendered faithful and efficient ser- vice. The Rev. Crowdus wtas succeeded by Rev. Culp, a transfer firomn Floridliy who remained only a few months. Rev. Geo. H. Burks next came to the pastorate. His labors were crowned with success, carrying on a large revival with many acces- siois to thei Church. 'Rev. George W. Bryant, D. D. was the successor of Rev. Burks. His administration of t-wo years was a financial success. He was a rather sensational preacher and drew large crowds, possibly the larg- est ill the history of the Church. I Rev. Emanuel Wilson was the successor of Dr. Bryant, remaining two years. The Rev. J. M. Turner, D. D. was the next pastor of St. John A. M. E.OChursh beginning his pastorate in 1890. His administra- tion was successful -to a flattering. degree. During his five years 25 THE ST. JOHN A. M. E. CHURCH. service,-the ground was bought on which the present edifice nowe stands. In 1893, the present Church was built, Bishop B. W. Ar- nett, D. D., being present at the corner-stone laying. Dr. Turner enjoyed to the fullest measure the confidence ofh-;s people and vill. long be remembered by the membership of St. John:- Rev. J. W. Frazier was the next pastor, and so popularized him- self with the people as to remain in charge for a period of five.years. He was beloved by the people, and did valiant work. It was during his term of service in the winter '96-'97 that one of the largest revivals in the 'fistory of the Church or city was conducted by Rev. A. J. Chambers, D. D., an eloquent and forceful evangelist. Mlany of the young people who are Dow doin.'g yeoman work in the Church date their conversion back to this historic revival,-an epoch maker in the religious development of Frankfort. Rev. P. A. Nichols, an eloquient orator, a ripe scholar, and Christian gentleman succeeded Elder Frazier. Possibly ihe Ch1urch had never in its history had it finer pulpit orator. It was blessed spiritually and temporally. He remained three years, being suc. ceeded by Rev. Harvey Knox, a most zealous Christian minister. He remained one year. Rev. G. F. David was the next pastor of St. John A. M. E. Church holding forth for two years, being elevated to the Presiding Elder- ship. The admiunistration of Rev. David was progressive and even to ful. No more energetic or wide-awake minister ever filled this pul- pit. The Church advanced along all lines, Rev. David displaying -signal power and ablity as a great spiritual and financial leader. Rev. J. M. Holt, D. D., the present able and scholarly pastor, is now serving his second year. At this writing, he has paid to date a considerable sum on the mortgage debt of the Church, in addition to paying off other debts. As a. pulpit orator, he takes high rank beino a deep thinker, logical reasoner and a ready speaker. The Church is progressing nicely under his leadership. The Officers of St. John A. M. E. Church are: Rev. J. M. Holt, D. D., Pastor and Chairman Ex-Officio: Rev. A. R. Ward, Secretary of Quarterly Conferernce. BOARD OF STEWARDS. George Canada, E. E. Underwood, D. M. Gray, Benj. Rogers, A. R. Ward, Park C. Sage, George Williams, John H. Foree, T. J Garth, c)G THE ST. JOHN A. M. E. CHURCH. BOARD OF STEWARDESSES. Daphney Mead, Sally Handy, Amanda Rhodes, Susan Butcher, Amelia Halleck, Kate Sage, Kittie Halleck, Rebecca Harris, Polly Smith. BOARD OP TRUSTEES. John Ecton, B. T. Harvey, D. E. Ried, M. J. Trumbo, B. F. Sayre. LOCAL PREACHERS. A. R. Ward, W. R. Todd, Edw. Campbell. CLASS LEADERS. George Canada, Benjamin Rogers, Edw. Campbell, A. R. Ward, W. R. Todd, John Woodson. ORGANIST-Margaret E. Gray. George W. Williams. President of Choir. Its membership is as follows: Adexander, Alnnie Ailen, John J. Bailey, Pearl Black, Hernian Black, Matry E. Boots, Dollie Brown, Thomas Buckner, Susan Campbell, Edward Canada, Mariali Carter, Lena Chiles, Malttie Clayborne, Millie Coleman, J. Willis Craig, Malinda Davis, Nancy Dudley, Mariah Ellis, Eliza J. Foree, J. H. Good, Eliza Gordon, Blanche Gray, D. F. Green, Warren Alexander, James Allen. Martha Baker, lRate Black, John G. Blaek, Thomas Brown, Emilv BuckIer, Belle Buford, Sarah Campbell, Preston Canada, Mollie Carter, Luvenia Chiles, Nettie Colemmi , Elenora Colelliall, S onnie Daniel,- Stisan Dent, Julia Ecuou, Jhn Ellis, Louisa Garth, T. J. Good, Sophia, Gordon, 'T'homas Gray, Mltrgaret E. Greentip, Lizzie Alexander. Mary Allen, Patsey Beach, Adella Black, Kittie Booker, Annie Brown, Robert Buckner, Ford Butcher, Susan Canada, George Canada, Thornton Chiles, James Clay, Helen Colemhan, James Combs, Juiia Davis, Malhala [Dobson, Julia Ecton, Matilda Emanuel, Charity Givens, Alary A. Goodwiu, Emma H Graham, Frank Gray, -Strali Hlalleck, Albert 27 THE ST. JOHN A. M. E. CHURCH. Halleck, Amelia Halleck, Jerry Handy, Willia Harris, Rebecca Harvey, Callie Harvey, Sadie Higgins, Sarah Johnson Benj. Johnson, Squire Lane, Katie W. Lyons, Henry Malvin, Carrie L. McKee, Ellen Medcalf, Chas. Miller, Fannie Miller, Mattie Mordica, Jane Morton, Catharine Page, Margaret Payne, H-arriet Penn, George Pickens, Margaret Pleasant, Rose Reneix, Alex. Rigero, Mary Robinson, Anderson Robinson, Robert Rogers, Benj. Saffell, George W. Sayre. B. F. Shelton, Mary Simpson, J. Todd Smith, Addie G. Smith, Henrietta Smith, Louis D. I 'St. Clair, Rebeca Taylor, Sally Jr. Thomas, Bland Thomas, Sam'l P.W. Todd, Mary Trumbo, M. J. Halleck, G. B. Handy, Maria h Harris, Elizabeth -Harris, Sarah E. Harvey, Julia Hays, Ida Irvin, Lizzie Johnson Harriet Kane, Annie Laiigford, Margaret Lyons, Mamuie Marshall, Sally Mead, Daphney Meriweather, Matildf Miller, Florenee Moriica, Musadore Medesif, Martha Marton, James V. P. Patterson, El iza beth Pendleton, Bettie Perry, Thomas Pleasant, Bland Ried, D. E. Rhodes, Amanda Robb, Janet Robinson, Florence Rodman. Mary E. Rogers, Mary Sage, Katie Sayre, Junius Simpson, Hattie Simpson, Mary Smith, Carrie ; Smith, Julia Smith, Polly Taylor, Emma Taylor, Sally, Sr. Thomas, Luemiza Thomas, Willie rodd, W. R' rracy, Lizzie Halleck, Kittie P. Handy, Sally Harris, Mattie Harvey, B. T. Harvey Maggie Higdon, C. F. Jackson, Patsey Johnson, Katie Kane, William Lawson, Rosetta Lyons, William Martin, Bndlah Mead, William Miller, Edmond Miller, Lucinda Mordica, Ruschial Owens, Amafida Patterson, Susan Penn, Annie Petty, Bettie Pleasant, Mattie 'Ried,. Sadie Richey, Maud Robb, Mary E. Robinson, Lottie Rodman, Orlando Russell, Robert Sage, Park C. Shelby, Eunice Simpson, James Small, Mattie ,Smith, Coranel Smith, Katie Smith, Willie Taylor, Jennie Thomas, Austin' Thomas, Martha Thornton, Celia Trumbo, Cordia ' Turner, Agnes 28 I 9THE ST. JOHN A. Ma E. CHURCH. Underwood, E. E. Underwood, Ellsworth Walker, Lucy Ward, A. R. Ward, Florida Ware, Joseph Washington, Louisa Washington, Malinda Weisiger, Allen Weisiger, Laura Welch, Sarah L. White, Fannie White, Isadore Williams, Adeline Williams, George Williams, Sam. Jr. WilJis, Addie Willis, Katie Willis, Sally Wilson, Lizzie Wilson, Mary Woodson, John Woolfolk, J. W. Woolfolk, Lizzie Woolfolk, Mamie, The St, John A. M. E. Church has a splendid Sunday School of seventy. scholars. The officers of the Sunday School are. Mrs Mary E. Black, Superintendent; Prof. G. B. Halleck, Ass't Superintendent; Miss Katie B. .Willis, Secretary; Miss Willina Handy, Ass't Secre- tary; Mrs. Charity Emanuel, Treasurer; Miss Luemiza Thomas, Organist; Rev. A. R. Ward, Ass't Organist; Mr. John G. Black, Librarian; Rev. Ed. Campbell, Ass't Librarian. TEACHERS,-Mrs. Mary E. Black, Rev. W. R. Todd, Mr. J. H. Foree, Mrs. Cordia Trumbo, Miss Katie Smith, Prof. G. B. Halleck, Mr. John G. Black, Miss Mary Alexander, Miss Willie Handy, Miss Katie B. Willis. . -.Tv J M. Hit, D. D. L. Le B. (Pastor of St. John A. M. E. Churc) Rev. J. M. Holt, D. D., L. L. B., the able, scholarly Pastor of St. John A. M. E. Church, was born in Hardin county,' Tennessee, near Savannah, on October 12th, 1862. He entered the first select school in his native county for colored people after the Civil War, working on a farm during his vacations. He was one of the first Normal graduates of Wayman Institute, located at Dickson, Tenn. He taught in the public schools of Tennessee, in various counti-es, for ten years. Prof. J. V. Jarrett, the Superintendent of Public In:- 29 THE ST. JOHN A. M. E. CHURICH. struction of the state of Tennessee appointed Prof. Holt to teach Geology and Scientific Agriculture at one of the sessiolis of the Nor- mal Institute, which was held for the benefit of the teachers of Hickman county. He took a Scientific course at ChautauquaL, New York,-a course in Theologly at Morris Brown Callege, Atiantai,Ga., andi a law course at the Central Law School, Louisville. Kentucky. He entered the active work of the ministry in 1888, join ing the West Telnlnessee conference of the A. M. lM. Church umler Bishop A. W. Wayninii, now deeeasei. He has pestored and ii tntged suscessfully most of' the first class appointments of his native state, among them being, Paris, Memphis, Union City and Chattanooga. In 1904, he represented, with ability, the East Tennessee Confer- ence at the General Conference of his Church, which met at Chiceigo. During the same year, he was trmtLsferred by Bishop 13. F. Lee, D. D. L. L. D., to the Kentucky Conference, and was pluced in charge of the St. John A. M. E. Church of this city. Dr. Holt is now serving his second yeatr's pastorate, and is nIeet- ing with deserved success. He has succeeded in very materially reducing the long-standing mortgage debt on this Church, having raised more money for that purpose than has been previonsly raised during the ten years preceding his pastorate. This speaks volumes for him as a financier. Dr. Holt is an able pulpit orator, his sermons bristling with logic and pregnant with common sense. He takes high rank in his profes. sion, and enjoys the confidence of all Ohs share his acquaintance He has recentLy been commissioned by Gov. Beckham as a Notary Public, This page in the original text is blank. q Po m C q C ;C t4 ; A 1.. .. 1- :.. I ..:, i I I "'N t. r. This page in the original text is blank. KiEV. J. M. bOLT, 1). 1!, Pastor of St. John A. M. E, Church. This page in the original text is blank. 19 :1 C-4 0 PI 0 :4 0 H ,,p OrL Ct1 jr, E! Q1 j t3 0 1 0 0 CD W on 1 P 0 a -- pJ." CDm 0 0 0 0 1 This page in the original text is blank. Mr-; ReaH;arris. Mn,.PIlly Smith. Miss Kitty Halloeck. Mrs. Sally Hawnd. M.s. T.M Iult. Mrs. Daplilely Mead. Mrs. Susan Butcher. Mrs. Anianaa 1tlles. BOA 'D OF STEWARDESSES, ST. .JORN A. M1. E. CHURClH. . ":..: . - -V,,,, This page in the original text is blank. il Mr. B. T. Harvey. Mr. M. J. Trumbo. Mr. John Ecton. Mr. D. E. Rvid. BOARD OF TRUSTEES, ST. JOHN A. M1. E. CHURCH. This page in the original text is blank. IREv. A. 1.. WARD, Secretary of St. John A. AI. E. Church. This page in the original text is blank. r-EV. W. II. To)V), Local Preachev, St. John A.'M. E. Church. REV. E DWARD CAMPBELL, Local Preacher, St. John A. AL. E. Church, This page in the original text is blank. MR. GEORG(E WILLIAMS, PVivtidnt of St, John A. M. E. Choir, M"I NINE= This page in the original text is blank. g 0 a . -o 0 Q :4 to Q PA z 0 0 This page in the original text is blank. MRIRS. MARY E. BLACK, Superintendent of St. John A. M. E. Sunday-school. Miss LLuEmIZA THOMAS, Organist of St. John A. 'M. E. Sunday- school, This page in the original text is blank. MRS. CHARITY MANUEL, of St. John A. M. r. Sunday-school, and a member Church who is always at her post of duty. This page in the original text is blank. w So T Cm H 0 r : 4 w 0 M.! w I"M I ! w m X Wm ot CD CD This page in the original text is blank. GRACE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHUIRCH. This Church is situated on Third street. between Mlirrnay alld Fowler streets, one half square from car-line in South Froukfort. This Church was organized as a mission in 1880 by Rev. Mun Walton. Presiding Elder for the Lexington District at the tinin,. Rev. 8. P. Lawson, was sent as first pastor, stayinig three years. He, in turn was followed by Revs. G. W. Leach, G. W. Robinzsoi, Fred White and D. E. Skelton, each staying one year. During Rev. Skelton's pastorate the Church burned down. The Rev. Skel- ton immediately rebuilt the present house and finished paying the entire debt on the property. Following the Rev. Skelton came the Revs. T. R. Fletcher, W .H. Venable, W. H. Pope, A. A. Woolfolk, Ed. Grty, Alex. Wbite, A. W. Byrd, G. W. Williams, A. Rice, Wui. Baltimore, F. ShipmaT'. Edw. R. Lewis and the present. pastor Wm. BuFh, each of whom stayed one year. There was nothing significant in the administration of either of these divines until the Rev. Lewis took charge in March 1904. Di. Lewis was not only a fine orator but a man possessed of executive ability and aggressive energy. He renovated and repainted the Church, and brought to it such prestige in the city as it had never Ihad before. The Church advanced spiritually and temporally under his leadership. Rev. Bush took up the work so well begun by his predecessor, and continued the, progressive advancement of the Church along all lines. Rev. Bush was much beloved by his congregation and rendered effic- ient service. The present Presiding Elder is Dr. L. M. Hagood, M. D., D. D. Grace M. E. Church is the only Church for colored people in South Frankfort, and therefore oecupies a wide field of usefulness. The present Presiding Elder realizes this fact and is striving to put men there who have mixing and winning ability consequently the Church is rapidly forging to the front, with the promise of becoming one of the leading Churches of the city, as it is most conveniently and splen- didly situated, only needing a man as pastor with executive ability and Christian force to advance her to her rightful position among the other Churches of the city. 32 GRACE METHODIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH. The officers of the Grace M. E. Church are as follows: Rev. Wm. Bush, Pastor and Chairman Ex-offiejo. BOARD OF TRUSTEES. W. H. Clarke, Edw R. Lewis, Martha Johnson. BOARD OF STEWARDESSES Annie L. Lewis, Lillie Lane, Lou Will Ward, Mayme Brown. Its membership Anderson, Mattie Brown, Mayme Childs, James Davis, Amanda Hampton, Annie Johnson, Mary Jordan, Frank Page, Aver Richey, Caroline Ward, Lou Will TqHE is as follows: L. Brown, Ed. Bush, Lucy C'hilds; Nancy Dillon, Benj. Hampton, Isaao Johnson, Zibbie Lane, Lillie Page, Mitchell Richey, Joseph Williams, Francis MISSIONARY SUNDAY Brown, Lucy Childs, Edward Clarke, W. H. Gordon, Maria Johnson, Martha Jordan, Anderson Lewis, Annie L. Richey, Annie M. Sleets, Mattie Wilson, David W. SCHOOL. OF GRACE M. E. CHURCH. The Missionary Sunday School of Grace M. E. Church was organ- ized Sunday October IS, 1963, through the efforts of Mrs. Martha Thomas and Mrs Nannie 1). Woolbfo1k, who saw the secessity for such an organization. Rev. G. F. I)avid, at that time pastor of St. John A.. M. E- Church, was present end addressed the first meeting to that end. He was elected its first Superintendent. S adie C'. Harvey was elected Secretary and Mrs. Nannie D. Woolfolk, Treas- urer. The first teachers were Mrs. Martha Thomas, Mrs. Nannie D. Woolfolk, Rev. Shipman, and Mrs. Mattie L. Anderson, Therm were forty-niue persons present on this ocTasion. The Sunday School did good work during the remainder of 1903. In 1904 new officers were elected as follows: Dr. E. R. Lewis, Superintendent; Pauline Woolfolk, Secretary; Mrs. Nannie D. Woolfolk, Treasurer. The Sunday School continued to flourish. At the regular election in 1905, the following officers were elected: Dr. E. R. Lewis, Sn- perintendent' 0. C. Rodman, Secretary; Pauline Woolfolk, Treasur- er; Warren Robinson, Librarian. TEACHERS,-Mrs. Nannie D, Woolfolk, Mrs. Mary L. Waters, Miss Mary Alexander, Mrs. Martha Thomas, and Miss Pauline Woolfolk. The School meets every Sunday afternoon at 2:30 o'clock. Rhv. WILLIAXM BUSH, Pastelr of Grace M. E. Church, l. This page in the original text is blank. DR. E. r. LEWIS, Superintendent of the Grace Mission Sundayv-school. qqiwp This page in the original text is blank. X x C u 0 I 0.