You have found an item located in the Kentuckiana Digital Library.
History of Irvine and Estill County, Kentucky / by E.C. Park. Park, E. C. (Elbridge Clark), b. 1855. 400dpi TIFF G4 page images University of Kentucky, Electronic Information Access & Management Center Lexington, Kentucky 2002 b92-132-29323075 Electronic reproduction. 2002. (Beyond the shelf, serving historic Kentuckiana through virtual access (IMLS LG-03-02-0012-02) ; These pages may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. History of Irvine and Estill County, Kentucky / by E.C. Park. Park, E. C. (Elbridge Clark), b. 1855. Transylvania, [Lexington, Ky. : 1906] 17,  p. : ill., ports. ; 31 x 24 cm. Coleman Microfilm. Atlanta, Ga. : SOLINET, 1993. 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. (SOLINET/ASERL Cooperative Microfilming Project (NEH PS-20317) ; SOL MN03767.03 KUK) Printing Master B92-132. IMLS This electronic text file was created by Optical Character Recognition (OCR). No corrections have been made to the OCR-ed text and no editing has been done to the content of the original document. Encoding has been done through an automated process using the recommendations for Level 1 of the TEI in Libraries Guidelines. Digital page images are linked to the text file. Irvine (Ky.) Estill County (Ky.) History. HISTORY OF IRVINE AND ESTILL COUNTY, KENTUCKY BY E. C. PARK E. 4 PARK Mr. E. C Park, tenders his experience to any one who desires assistance in the publication of any other State, Counts, or Country. He also would cbeerfully enter into newspaper work, in which he has experience. Address him, E. C PARK, Irvine, Ky. =.THE LEADING____ Purnhtvre Dcealer In CentralI Kentucky. Always Keep! on Hand a Grand Assortment of Everything kept by an Experienced Dealer. Beds, RoCking ChdirS, Solas, Loungs, Side Boards, And indeed anythingjand everything to be found in a first class estatblish-N ment. Also a magnificent dis- " play of Carpets, Oil cloths, Prices to meet tbe de-4''''' ''N"" N mand of any customer.' " " Especial Attention is"'' NN N' ' '' called to his N4"'" Ikpuaimen TLis depsr'went, is corn- "N''N NQ "' ' plete in every detail. NN'N'""P '" " Polie and prompt at- ' N N' tention guaranteed to all 'N' calls. Day PIhone 76. Night Phone 136 and 179. ESTILL COUNTY "Breathes there a man with soul so dead Who never to himself hath said: This is my own, my native land" E dlo not believe there is a Kentuckian who who has not realized the advantage and f delight of being one. ILet him travel from the lakes to the gulf; from the Atlantic to the Pacific, and wherever he stops, wherever he goes, as soon as it is discovered that he is from "The Land of the Free, the Home of the Brave," he is accorded a courtesy that is not shown a native of and other state in the Union. With few exceptions, a Kentuckian conducts himself in a manner that evokes praise and admiration. Brave, chivalrous, knightly, his demeanor wins for hiii and for his state the profoundest respect. It is a saving that is wide-spread, that Ken- tucky is noted for being the fountain head of "Beautiful Women, Fine Horses and Good Whisky." While we revel in that reputation-the reputation of excelling in anything we undertake and what we possess by nature, we are proud that we can boast of still other possessions. Honor is depicted upon the countenances of our deni- zens. In a trading transaction, the mere word of a gen- tlenian from the State of Kentuckv is oftimes worth more than the written contract of many inhabitants of other states. Nature has bestowed upon Kentucky some of her l-:ost gracious blessings. She is situated in the central part of the United States, where she is blessed with a delightful climate, that is pregnant with health-giving properties. We are free from diseases that are incident to other localities. We are blessed with a soil that has -no equal in the world. The Blue Grass region of Ken- tucky is not surpassed by any other upon which the foot of man has trodden. The eastern part of the state is rich in minerals of great variety and of immense value. The coal fields of Kentucky equal in quality and quan- tity the fields of almost any other state; the iron ore has taken premiums at the World's Fair for excellence in quality; its timber resources are apparently inex- haustible. The variety of its timber products is won- derful; gas andl petroleum are now considered a common commodity in her domain. Surely God loved Kentucky, or she would not have been so generously remembered. While it is true that the entire state is much blessed, there is within her borders one county that deserves a greater share of praise than has been accorded her. It is one of the counties that is situated between the Blue Grass andl "the mountains"-econlsluently partaking of the advantages that each section represents. It is the country of ExSTILr . Estill, whose name sug- gestts to the hitorian many a el tl of nobility, many an episode of bravery that Ought be conipared with those of iore romantic countries and with countries whose record extends' front the prosperous (lays of Greece. through the history (of Stnny France, of Great Britain, Gerniany-of any place that has attracted the attention of good writers. Nature has lent her choicest apparel to Estill County. With her fertile valleys, her limpid streanis, her tower- ing 1ieaks, there is jireseenteul a feast for the soul of the artist or the poet. A visitor to Scotland or Switzerland or Italy would upon an honest confession admit that the views afforded iv the mountain peaks-a part of the Cuniberland range-is equal in grandeur and beauty to anything hi uuuay have seen there. Trees of different varieties cover the crest of these hills and mountains and with the sunlight shining upon the diversity of colors, and a look upon the broad fields of yellow corn, there is nuanifested not only beauty, but ideas of immense money value. It is certainly a place that should attract the wealth of investors, who are desirous of increasing or accuniulatiiug fortunes. Estill County was organized in 1808, and is composed of parts of Madison and Clark Counties. It is the fiftieth county admitted in the state. Originally it was much larger than it now is. From its territory, largely, have been composed the counties of Breathitt, in 1839; Owsley, in 1843; Powell, in 1852; Jackson, in 1858; Lee, in 1870. In 1888 another portion of Estill was turned over to Powell County. This was done on the part of political influence. Estill was strongly Demo- cratic. Our legislator in connection with Lee County had a bill passed ceding Hardwicks Creek, one of the Democratic strongholds, to Powell County, thereby changing the political aspect of the county to Repub- licanism. The population of Estill County in 1810 was 2,082; in 1860, 6,836; in 190i), 11,669. In 1860, the white population was 6,363; free colored, 16; slaves, 507. Estill County is bounded on the North by Powell and Clark Counties; on the East by Lee and Powell Coun- ties; on the South by Jackson and Owsley Counties; on the West by Madison County. Estill County was named in honor of Capt. James Estill, of Madison County, a man noted for his bravery and general merit. Capt. James Estill was a descend- History of Irvine and Estill County, Kentucky ant of the famous Estill family of England and a de- seendant on his mother's side of William Wallace. Her people were in Londonderry at the time of the great religious troubles in Ireland. One of his ancestors, during Cromwell's control of the English government, with twelve other families, sailed for America and set- tled in New Jersey. His first son was the third male child born in New Jersev. This son was the father of Wallace Estill born in 1700, and the latter named was the father of James Estill and Samuel Estill. Capt. James Estill was a man of small stature, but utterly regardless of danger. He had moved to Virginia, and from there he came to Boonesborough. When Duquesne with five hundred Indians and French attacked the fort, there were only fifty men to defend the fort, but they fought for nine days and succeeded in holding it. Capt. James Estill built a fort on his place three miles south of Richmond. Col. Samuel Estill built one a mile and a half from "James Fort," as it was called. In March, 1781, the two went from James to Samuel's fort, and upon their journey they were attacked by the Indians. The right arm of Capt James Estill was broken by a shot from the Indians, and though he was so seriously wounded, he did not fall. Col. Samuel Estill killed two of the Indians with one shot. During the fight, a large Wvandotte Indian made a dash at a small Dutchman, named Boyers. Boyers ran with a loaded gun and shouted, "Shoot, Sam, shoot." "Shoot yourself, you son of a , my gun is empty," shouted Estill. Boyers turned and shot the Indian just as the Indian threw his tomahawk at him. The Indian, however, missed his aim, and Boyers came out all right. About the 19th of March, 1782, Jane Guess, a twelve- year-old girl, came to the fortification to tell a dream that she had. She dreamed that the Lord had built a ladder from earth to heaven for her to go up on. After breakfast, she took "Dick" and went out in the woods to tap a sugar tree. The Indians took after her and she ran towards the fort, but before she could reach it they caught her, killed her and dragging her behind a brush pile, they scalped her. The women in the fort witnessed the deed and their shouts of "Run, Jenny, run," were simply awful. A negro man named Monk was hauling wool to boil the water. The Indians asked ESTILL MONUMENT 4 History of Irvine and Estill County, Kentucky him how many men there were in the fort. He replied, "Forty." They then killed all the stock that was on the outside and fled. The fort had only four old men in it. Capt. James Estill had taken his little army of about twentv-five men to Estill County the day before to look in the sand for Indian tricks. The Indians had crossed at the mouth of Red River. They failed to meet and a messenger was sent from his fort to tell him what had transpired there. He then took his command and fol- lowed them to Little Mountain in Montgomery County. The faithful boy Monk took Capt. Estill's horse and hid behind a tree from the Indians. Capt. Estill ordered his lieutenant to forin in the rear while he attacked them in front. His order, for sonic reason, was not obeyed. Capt. Estill, with half of his men, made their attack. A Wyandotte Indian rushed on him while he was weak from the effects of his broken arm, his fatigue of traveling and his bold and daring fight. His gun was empty and lie was thereby unable to overcome the Indian, who overpowered him. He was the last white man to fall. When he was killed by the Indian, Joseph Proctor slew the Indian. That put an end to the fight. Of all the men who engaged in the fight, only three re- mained to tell the tale. These were Joseph Proctor, unhurt; James Berry, thigh broken; William Irvine, shot through the lungs. The fidelity of the slave Monk deservesr mention. He carried James Berry on his back to Booneborough, twenty-five miles. He was accorded his freedom and enjoyed a long life with his former master, Wallaec Estill. Aecomnpansing herewith is a picture of a statue erected to the nmenmory of Capt. Estill in the Richmond ecuiletery. Sad to adimit, the valiant Joseph Proctor is buried in the "old grave vard" at Irvine, but it is doubtful whether his grave could be discovered. The Kentucky River flows through Estill County from the southeast to the northwest, a distance of about thirty-five miles. Besides being a stream of great value to the agriculturists, and a stream of remarkable beauty, ICE GORGE it is extremely useful as a means of transportation of saw logs, ties, staves, coal, etc. Notwithstanding Estill has the advantage of the L. A. railroad, there are thousands upon thousands of logs that are floated down the river at each tide. The river is one of the most beautiful in the United States. Bounded on either side by high peaks of the Cumberland range of mountains, it affords views incomparable for beeauty. Then, upon its margin, grow flowers of rare beauty and (lelieacy in great profusion. Sometimes, in the Winter, the river freezes over. Accompanying here- with is a view of an ice gorge that occurred in the Ken- tucky River last February. The view is at the mouth of Station Camp Creek, just above Irvine. The following streams of water are tributary to the Kentucky River in this county: Red River, Station 5 History of Irvine and Estill County. Kentucky C'amop Creek. Buck Creek. Cow Creek, Hardwicks Creek. Drowning Creek, Clear Creek and other miner tributaries. The Kentucky River is being locked and dammed and it is expected that al dam will he located at or near Irvine uuring this year. Of course that will enable steamboats to run all the year round and will be of great advantage to shippers of any kind of freight. An Indian camp was discovered on the waters of what is known as Station Camp Creek. from which the name was given to the stream. It was at this camp that the powder used by the Indians in this vicinity was manu factured. The climate of Estill County is unexcelled anywhere in the world for health. Situated high and possessing no swamp lands, it is without those properties that breed disease. As an instance of the health of this county., we will say that in Irvine, the county seat, dur- ing the past year there has been but one death, and that was where a man dropped suddenly dead. That is a fact strictly confined to the town limits, but, of course, in the suburbs there have been other deaths. The southern part of Estill is rough and the land comparatively poor, but the river and creek bottoms are as rich as any land in the Blue Grass region. ('orn is the principal product raised upon the farms, although there is cultivated a large supply of oats, grass, uhrat and tobacco. In 1904 there was raised in this counts- 265,411 bushels of corn. There are quite a number of good cattle and hogs and horses raised here. In 1870 there were raised 3,920 head of cattle: in 1904. there were raised 6,682 head; in 1870, hogs, 5,225: in 1904, 9,056; in 1870, horses, 1.214 head: in 1904, 2.123 head. ('oal and iron ore have been found in paying quanti- ties and of excellent quality. lead ore has been discov- treda. but so far not in sufficient quantities to pay for working it. In relation to the iron found in this county, we will quote a short extract: "The Red River Iron District is mainly confined to Estill County. The iron ores of the region l)roduce iron of unsurpassed excellence. The first iron works in the county were located on Red River, in the northeast corner, about 1810, and em- braced a blast furnace, knobling fire and forge. About 1830 the Estill steam furnace was built, ten miles south- east, on the mountain which divides the waters of the Rled River from those of the Kentucky, and the smelt- ing discontinued at the furnace on Red River; at the same time the works at the "forge" were greatly im- proved for the manufacture of bar irons, blooms, nails and castings. The Red River Iron Works soon became celebrated for the good quality of the metal produced. About 1840 a new rolling mill supplanted the old forge, and coal from near the Three Forks of the Kentucky River was employed as fuel; this coal was flat boated from Beattville down the river fifty miles, wagoned pine miles upe Red River to the iron works; it was not found suited to make good iron, and its use was aban- doned. About 1860 the manufacture of iron at the mill was discontinued. In 1865, 'The Red River Iron Manufacturing Company' was chartered and organized with a cash capital of 1,00.0000, which sum was actu- ally expended in the purchase of all the estate belonging to The Re1 River Iron Works, and in the improvement of that property. The works at the old forge on Red River were not revived, but the mills there were rebuilt and imiproved. Estill Furnace was put in blast in May, 1866, many buildings erected, turnpike roads built and the iron wagone]l eight miles to Red River, and shipped l)v flat boats. In 1868, the company began and in less than two vycars completed two of the largest charcoal fernaces in the world, with inclined planes, tramways, wac-adamized roads, mills and shops, and homes for over one hundred families, employing 1,01)0 men for more than a year. A town was chartered at the new furnace called Fitchburg, after the two brothers, Frank Fitch, the general superintendent, and Fred Fitch, the secretary and treasurer. In 1869, the iron from Estill Furnac was diverted from the Red River route, and wagoned three miles to Fitchburg; thence with the prodli:et of the two great furnaces, which went into blast March 4, 1870), taken by a new tramway six miles to Scott's Landing, on the Kentucky River, near the mouth of Millers Creek. In 1871, nearly 10,000 tons of pig iron were turned out, valued at 600,000." Now, such being the fact, that these mountains are still here; that iron ore is just as plentiful as in the dilays of Fitchburg; that the iron produced from this ore is acknowledged to be the finest in the world; that we now have railroad facilities for transportation that were not in existence at that day; that the Kentucky River is going to be locked and dammed in the space of perhaps a year; whv is it not a field for investment Why would it not be a souree of immense revenue One reason that Fitchburg collapsed was because of the expense and danger of transportation. Many a sand bar on the Kentucky River has been the deposit of boats of pig metal. We predict that in a very short period these fields will again be opened and worked. As to coal in Estill County, while it is true that there are not at present many mines operated, yet, there can be no doubt that the coal mines of Estill County will prove to be very valuable. The development along that line has been retarded on account of the lack of trans- portation. Now things will be different. The real interest of Estill County, however, outside of her farming interests is her timber products. There are vast forests, which have never yet been touched. One who is not informed upon that subject naturally concludes that on account of the many thousand logs that have been cut in this county in the last twenty-five years, there must of necessity be a shortage in the pro- 6 History of Irvine and Estill County, Kentucky duction. Notwithstanding that fact, lumber men have informed me that it will require years for the produc- tion to become worthless. The variety of timber in this county is unusuall! fine. We have some little walnut, the fact being that that variety is almost extinct. We have oak, poplar. hickory, ash, lynn, cherry, sugar tree, pine, cedar, and almost every species that is common to the mountains of the state. And the quality is unsurpassed. The saw jmill at this place receives orders front Liverpool, Berlin and other European points. The saw mill at Irvine supplies the Pullman Palace Car Conmpanv with a greater amount of material than any other one mill in the state of Kentucky. What a fine opportunity for factories of any and every kind. Why not establish right here wagon factories, furni- ture factories, coffin factories, stave factories-in fact. any kind of factory, where you can obtain the material without the cost of shipping it Why would it not pay any company thus engaged to examine our products Estill County is fortunate in being blessed with nu- merous churches and school houses. Every denonmina- tion almost is represented, except perhaps the Catholics and one or two Protestant denominations. The people are as quiet and orderly as in any county in the state of Kentucky. Among the noted divines who have been reared in this county we refer to Steven Noland, a Methodist and a powerful man. Rev. Wm. Rogers, a member of the Christian Church, died at the age of seventy-seven years. He left 207 grand children. He preached forty years, during which time he baptized 2,052 people. While it is true that morality prevails in this county, it is equally true that crime and vice exist. There has been two hangings by mobs in this county since its or- ganization; Jesse Crow was hung by the Kiu-Klux-Klan for killing a young man by the name of Titus at a (lance. Alex Richardson was hung by a mob for nmurlering SMrs. White. Since the organization of Estill County there have been within its borders three legal hangings. The first was that of Edward William Hawkins, on the 29th (lay of May, 1857; the second was that of Joe Stone; the third was of William Puckett. The hanging of Hawkins was attended with the greatest possibly conceived interest on account of the notorious character of the culprit. Hawkins was born in the Forks Precinct of Estill County and at a very early age manifested a disposition not to work, and began stealing. Later on in life he began to steal horses. and finally connected himself with a gang of horse thieves that operated in Illinois, Missouri and Kentucky. He made several trips across that territory, carrying stolen horses with him. He was hung for the, murder of Messrs. Land and Arvine, two deputy sheriffs of Estill County, who had arrested him at Beattyville, Lee County, and were escorting him back to Irvine. He was riding behind Mr. Land when he threw his arms around him and grasped his pistol, with which he shot and killed him. Thereupon Mr. Arvine, who was riding in advance, turneil, and Hawkins shot and killed himm. He imnime- diatelv took to the wsods in flight. Officers and citizens in great numbers pursued hiun. hbut could not find him. On one occasion, there was a large crowd in pursuit and Hawkins was on the road just a little in front of theumi. le. saw that he would be overtaken, and with remiark- ahle presence of mnind. lie pulled off his coat and b"gan laying urp a fence just as though lie was a farmner at work on his plaie. As the party passed him, the lealer said. "Say, boys, when vont see Hawkins you will find a jquan that looks like that." He traveled for several days, crossing the Ohio River into that state. One night a party, still after him, discovered him by the side of a log fire out in the woods. They demanded his surren- der, but, although they numibered about thirty, and lie was unaccompanied by any one at all, they were afraid to come upon him until lie threw his pistols down and assured them he would not hurt them. He said he was just tired of running around and decided to sur- render. They brought him to Irvine, Kv., and after a trial he was sentenced to be hung. After his sentence he wrote a history of his life, and it is full of crime and sorrowful history. In it he describes his beginning, and urges the voung boys to take warning from him. He says lie was married six times, living with each wife just a little while until he could beat her out of what property or money sle possessed. One wife, he declared, lie loved, ut:t hi, antipathy to work prevented him from earning an honest living. and he resorted to knocking men down on the streets in the city on dark nights and robbing theni. Before long his wife found out about it, and she was so sorely grieved that during the night, while lie was asleep, she arose and went out in the vard and hung herself. It is impossible to tell correctly the number of men he killed-perhaps a dozen. One poor fariner in Miisswuri had been to town to market and was riding home on his wagon. Hawkins kiew lie had some money and was walking along the road on which thc driver was going and in the same direction. He asked the fartmer to let him ride. The kind-hearted old man readily consented. Hawkins got up beside him and when they arrived at a suitable place in the road he shot the fanner and after robbing himmi threw him out on the ground. drove the wagon over his head to cover up the bullet wound, and then made the horses run away as though it had been an accident. At the tiiie of his death lie was only 21 years of age. He was considered a handsome young man, bright, and might have accom- plished a great deal of good. In those days executions were not made with electricity or with the same kind of gallows that are in use today. Hawkins was placed on his coffin, which was upon an old road wagon, drawn by two oxen. He was driven about a mile and a half front 7 History of Irvine and Estill County. Kentucky THE HAWKINS GALLOWS town, where there was erected a gallows. He made a speech before he was hung, in which he expressed regret at his course, and earnestly admonished the young men to live a different life. When the sheriff ordered the wagon to be driven out, Hawkins gave a leap and broke his neck. There were estimated to be five or six thousand peo- J. R PATES ple present. This picture represents the gallows, which still sands, with the exception that the cross-piece has been broken off. One of the most important enterprises in the county of Estill is the Louisville Atlantic Railroad. This road runs from Versailles, in Woodford County, to Beat- tvrille, Lee County, Ky., a distance of ninety-four miles. In the year 1888 Estill County voted a tax of 100,000 for the building of this road, which, upon its comple- tion, was called the Richmond, Nicholasville, Irvine Beattyville Railroad. One-half of the amount was to be paid upon the final completion of the road within a certain time. The wording of the contract was some- what ambiguous and consequently the county claimed they did not owe the road company any amount what- ever. The company admitted that fact so far as it ex- tended to the payment of the last 50,000 and the bonds for that amount were burned in front of the court house at Irvine. The county was then sued by the holders of the bonds for the other 50,000, but though the various courts thus far have decided in favor of the bondholders, no amount has been collected. The amount, together with the interest and expenses of litigation have made the amount claimed amount to nearly 100,000. The people generally throughout the county are opposed to the payment of the claim, and even the Louisville Atlantic Railroad would object to the payment of it, as they would necessarily be compelled to pay their part of a History of Irvine and Estill County, Kentucky the tax and would not receive a single cent for theiti- selves. Notwithstanding this trouble, we are glad to have the railroad with us. It places us in connection with the outside world. There are in our county inexhaust- able resources consisting of timber, coal, coal oil and other commodities that are readily conveyer to market, whereas, there would necessarily be less improvements in the way of saw mills, factories and other interests, whereby employment is furnished to our citizens. The road ;s splendidly managed. Capt. J. R. Pates, the Superintkndent, who married the worthy daughter of Rev. J. B. McGinn, a minister of the Christian Church, well known throughout the state, is the soul of honor and the true exponent of success. The pie- ture of Capt. Pates herewith produced will be recognized by his numerous friends. Mr. H. R. Smith, General Freight and Passenger Agent and Chief Clerk to the President, was born in Irvine and is one of the city's prides. At the age of seventeen years, he took up the study of telegraphy and becoming a master thereof, he was given the manage- ment of Panola Station. Being endowed with energy and true worthiness, he was advanced from position to position, until he attained the one he occupies. We hope to soon witness hib further advancement. Mr. Smith's photograph is presented. H. ]EL 8ITH It will be a difficult thing for any traveler to find more polite and attentive conductors than Messrs. Robert and Jo Harris They have been identified with the road ever since its inception and we hope they will long con- tinue to hold their positions. Another gentleman who is connected with the Is. A. Railroad is Mr. R. A. Woolums, the Soliciting Agent for that road. He is an affable and polite man, and is thoroughly conversant with the conduct of his business. Malum a passenger rides over that road because it is un- der the nianagenient of Mr. Woolums. Among the many attractive features of Estill County. there is none greater than the Estill Springs. Situated about one-halt mile from Irvine, it revels in the glory of the past no less than that of the present. It has for many years been known as the most popular summer resort in the state of Kentucky. Before the war, hun- dlredls of visitors would oome early in the spring, bring- ing their carriages and negroes, and would remain until the fall months drove them home. Henry Clay, it is said, "stood pat" in many a game of "draw" under the shadte of the oaks that adorn the grounds. This is X-ertainjy the most charming summer resort in these parts. Large andl spacious buildings are there for the accomnmodatiomi of guests. It boasts of the finest ball room in the state. Each year the proprietor employs a fine banal of music from some of the Eastern cities, andl when the evening shades begin to fall, they proceed to a rustic arbor, from which emanates sweet strains of music for the beguilement of the guests. Evern night the ball room is thrown open and they lightly trip the tral-a-loo. The waters of these springs are most excel- lent in quality and variety. They have white, red and black sulphur, the finest chalybeate in the world-a great help to those who are afflicted with pulmonary dia- eases-limestone, and in fact every kind of water con- eeivable. The grounds are spacious and are surrounded with scenery that is unsurpassed for beauty in Italy. Bowling alleys. a tennis court, cards, in fact any and all kinds of amusement are furnished. We heartily rec- ommend this place to any one seeking recreation or health. We publish a picture of this beautiful spot. The bravery of the citizens of Estill County has be- come a bv-word all over the state of Kentucky. Pos- sibly this is attributable to their record during the Civil War. When the war broke out, there was no section where the call to arms was more earnestly answered than in her borders. It is true that the sentiment of Estill's people were somewhat divided, and as a conse- quence, she supplied valiant soldiers for both sides. John Morgan had several volunteers, and they were as brave a lot of men as ever drew the sword. For the Federal army, Col. H. C. Lilly organized a regiment of cavalry, called the 14th. There were numerous scatter- ing regiments that received volunteers from this county, but for true merit and noble deeds there was no regi- ment in the entire army who performed their duties so successfully and who endured more hardships than did the noble Old Eighth Kentucky, Infantry Volunteers. This regiment was organized by Col. Sidney M. Barnes, who at that time was proprietor of the beautiful 9 History of Irvinevand Estill County, Kentucky ESTILL SPRINGS summer resort the Estill Springs. He was also a law- yer of pronounced ability and a man or magnificent iwrsonal appearance. In August, 1861, upon numerous oecasions he addressed the citizens of Estill, Madison and adjoining counties. principally held upon the occur- rence of drills, that were participated in by the Home Guards. He spoke of the necessity of better organiza- tion to protect ourselves from being run over by the Rebels. On the 14th of September a battalion of half a score of companies of Home Guards met at Texas, Madison County, Kentucky. The loyal citizens were there with baskets that teemed with good things to eat. Captains John C. Wilson and A. D. Powell, of Estill County, were present with their recruits. Enthusiasm waxed warm. It was not long afterwards before the entire requisite of numbers was obtained and the regi- ment made their headquarters at Estill Springs. The Colonel's low rows of cottages were used as quarters for the men. The services of an experienced baker was pro- cured. He, however, was unable to attend to the wants of the entire regiment, and they formed themselves into messes or squads and did their own cooking. But this life of pleasure was to be shortly cut of. The first real trouble was the prevalence of the measles, which, while it resulted in the death of none of the men, they in- curred troubles e"hich were afterwards apparent. On the 13th of November ten companies were organ- ized with the following as officers: S. M. Barnes, Colo- nel; Reuben May, of Clay County, Lieutenant Colonel. Green B. Broadus, of Madison County, Major; John S. Clark, of Estill County, Adjutant, and Timothy Paul, of Clay County, Chaplain. Co. A-Captain; J. D. Mayhew; 1st Lieutenant, Wm. Ketchen. Co. B-Captain, A. D. Powell; 1st Lieutenant, J. Nea; 2nd Lieutenant, J. Blackwell. Co. C-Captain, John C. Wilson; 1st Lieutenant, Wm. W. Park; 2nd Lieutenant, Cassius M. Park. Co. D-Captain, R. B. Jameson; 1st Lieutenant, J. P. Gumm; 2nd Lieutenant, Thos. Carson. Co. E-Captain, R. B. Hickman; 1st Lieutenant, C. D. Benton; 2nd Lieutenant, Perry Nickolls. Co. F-Captain, John B. Banton; 1st Lieutenant, Barton Dixon; 2nd Lieutenant, Newton Hughes. Co. G-Captain, L. C. Minter; 1st Lieutenant, Caleb Hughes; 2nd Lieutenant, Winfield S. Spencer. Co. H-Captain, Rhodes Winburn; 1st Lieutenant, Wade B. Cox; 2nd Lieutenant, T. J. Wright. Co. I-Captain, Wm. McDaniel; 1st Lieutenant, Crooks; 2nd Lieutenant, Amy. Co. K-Captain, Henry Thomas; 1st Lieutenant, Wesley Stewart; 2nd Lieutenant, Wm. Smallwood. 10 History of Irvine and Estill County, Kentucky RAISING TIlE FLAG OF LOOKOUT' MOUNTAIN About the 26th of November. Col. Barnes received or- ders from Gen. Thomas to break camp and march to Lebanon. On the 27th the ladies of the town of Irvine presented their dear friends of the 8th with a niagnifi- cent silk flag. The presentation was made to the entire regiment, who were drawn up in dress paradle, by Joseph Clark, brother of Adjutant John S. Clark. His address was inspired with eloquence and was replete with niany a noble expression. He closed his speech with the ad- muonition, "Carry that flag to victory; never let it be deserted or dishonored by brave Kentuckians." Loudly the army exclaimed, "Never! Never !" They then gave three rousing cheers for the ladies of Old Estill. The next morning they started on their journey, while a drizzling rain was falling. Many of the boys thought their hardships had surely coimnmnenced; but, alas, their after experiences told them how much they could suffer. Were I to undertake to narrate all the brave acts of this regiment, it would fill a history much larger than this one. They marched into the midst of the fray in Tennessee, Georgia and other Southern States which were engaged in their bloody war. They were exposer to the roughest weather; they were often short of pro- visions; they engaged in many bloody battles, but in not a single one of them did they falter or hesitate to do their duty, even at the risk of their own lives. At the battle of Lookout Mountain, for instance, the gen- eral had his army drawn into line, and he asked who would volunteer to plant the U nion flag on top of the niountain. While the entire arnii, standing for a tnie, realizing the danger-the almost absolute certainty of death-Captain John C. Wilson. of Estill CountY, bold- lv stepped forward, followed lby five of his fellow comity- men and fellow soldiers. These six men ascended the niountain and were the first to spread the banner to the breeze. Accompanying herewith is a cut of that act. Again at the battle of Stone's River. after a hard fight and after being driven back, the flag that had been presented to the 8th KentuckY bY the Irvine ladies was being carried l'y T. Eldgar Park, who was ledor hearer. Three times thc staff was riven by cannon halls and the flag itself literally torn into shreds by the balls of the eneniv. Color Bearer Park was the last moan to leave the field, as he remained behind to gather up the rem- nants of the flag andl prevent its capture. Ile was coni- pllinented by the officers for his bravery aid afterwards was promoted to the position of Adjutant. In the House of lRepresentatives of the State of Ken- tucky, larch 2, 1863, M1essrs. Cleveland and Burnani were applo)intedl a (commmmlittee to receive flags of Kentucky troops. At noon, M1r. Wickliffe, Secretary of State, appeared with the storinm-tos;sed and war-worn flags of several Kentucky regimiments, aniongst which was that (f the 8th Kentucky, with a message froni the Governor, giving a brief history of theni. Referring to the flag in U;. EDGARL PARK I I Hisiory of Irvine and Estill County, Kentucky question, he said: "It will be observed that the colors of the Eighth Regiment (Col. Barnes) is almost com- pletely destroyed. It was upheld amid showers of shot and shell by Edgar Park, Company C, until the missiles of the foe had piereed again and again its every fold. Finally the staff was struck and shivered to pieces. The enemy was drawing close around the undaunted stand- arn hearer. The broken staff could no longer be grasped, but he quickly gathered the remnants of the flag and bore them rapidly to those who so nobly defended it, with an intrepidity rarely equalled and never sur- passed." Herewith we present a picture of the hero, T. Edgar Park. We could present sukbect after subject of unparalleled bravery by almost every mimember of the 8th Kentucky, lut we leave it to the noble-hearted survivors to tender to their fallen dead and living brave the honor that is dlue them. Capt. Ja8. A. Moore, of Estill County, Kentucky, was C'aptain of Co. D, 4th Kentucky, Col. Fry commanding. He served during the entire war and was engaged in umany severe conflicts. He was captured at Atlanta, Ga., and after confinement in prison for a period of about four months, he escaped and walked the whole distance from Columbia to Nashville, Tenn., where he rejoined his troops. Mr. Moore is a thorough Republican. He has never sought an office, hut he may be accounted upon to be "there" at evern election. He is now 68 years of age, and has the satisfaction of knowing he possesses the esteem of all who know him. Another instance of the loyalty of Estillites: August 31, 1847, Capt. W. P. Childs organized a regiment to go to Mexico. We are informned that there is but one miemn- Ier of that company still alive in Estill. That is Mr. William Bellis. Count7 Judges of EstMll County, Kentucky. A. W. Quinn, two terms. Robert Riddell, two terms. E. L. Cockrill, one term. J. C. Wilson, one term. E. L. Cockrill, one term. E. L Cockrill, one term. Robert Fluty, one term. WN. B. Benton, one term. WN. B. Benton, two terms. WN. l\. Park, one term. A. J. Tharp, one term. \'. H. Lilly, one term. J. WN. Muncie, one term. 0. K. Noland, two terms. IRVINE RVINE, the county seat of Estill County, Kentucky, is situated in latitude 37 de- grees. 43 minutes; longitude 6 degrees, 53 minutes. Its population in 1830 was 91.; in 1860, 234; in 1900, about 1,000. The town was organized in December, 1811, and WU sold to the Justices of the Peace of Estill County by Green Clay for the purpose of erecting a town. We below copy the deed made by Mr. Clay of the property. It is unique and will doubtless interest you. THIS IDDENTURE made this the 15th day of Decem- ber, 1811, between Green Clay of the County of Madi- son and state of Kentucky of the one part; Peter Evans, Partlett Woodward, Jones Hay, Henry Beatty, William MeCreery, Jesse Cobb, Pattersen Griffith Robert McFarland Gentlemen Justices of the Peace in and for the County of Estill for the time being and for their successors of the other part witnesseth, that for the special purpose of establishing and improving a town at Estill Court House and adjoining around the publick square the said Green Clay doth hereby transfer and convey to the said Justices of the Peace for the said County of Estill and their successors for the time being tw(rttv acres and one-half acre of land situated lying and leing in the said county around the publick square on which the court house for the sd county of Estill r.ow stands in trust to be by said Justices laved off and e..tablisherl a town by the name of Irvine agreeable to the plan of lots streets herewith filed and annexed without any alteration or departure from the said plan without the said Clays consent first had; and bounded as follows Beginning S 50 W 24 poles from the south- west corner of the publick ground thence N 10 W 44 poles thence N 80- E 60 poles thence 8 10 E sixty poles thence S 80 W 60 poles thence N 10 E sixteen poles to the beginning excluding the publick square contain- ing two acres which is within the outlines of the cources distances aforesaid to have and to hold the said twen- ty acres and a half acre of land with its appertainances: to the said Justices of Estill County and their sue- cessors for the time being upon the following trust to wit: that the said twenty and a half acres of land bounded as aforesaid shall be vested in trustees of said town of Irvine to be by them sold at public auction for the best price that can be had on twelve months credit taking land with sufficient security of the purchasers payment of the money the amount the sale shall be for the use and benefit of said City his heirs and assigns each lot when exposed to sale shall be cried two min- 12 History of Irvine and Estill County, Kentucky utes at least after the last bid before struck off and sold between noondav and sun setting; all of which lots shall be sold within two years from the (late of this deed ac- cording to law the terms herein and said Green Clay for himself his heirs e do warrant forever defend the said twenty and a half acres of land to the said Justices of the Peace their successors for the time being upon the trust aforesaid against himself his heirs executors administrators against all every other person or persons claiming by through or under him or them In testimony whereof I have hereunto set mv hand and seal the day and year first above written. GREEN CLAY. (Seal) It is one of the most beautiful towns of its size in the state of Kentucky. Nestling at the base of the Cum- berland Mountains, it is surrounded by a range of the same, that is at all times of the year covered with a foliage that presents a charming view. On the North- west is Sweet Lick Knob, from whose summit may be witnessed a view of magnificent splendor. During the Civil War, when the battle of Richmond was being fought, many of Irvine's citizens ascended Sweet Lick ing upon three different occasions. On the East side of the town is M1t. Minerva. Its name was given to it bl E. C. Park, in honor of Mrs. Minerva Curtis, whose home was situated at its base. During the Civil War the Federal soldiers took possession of this mountain andi stripping it of its foliage, erected fortifications upon its top, it commanding the entrance to the town on all sides, and Irvine being a gate way to the South, it was often invaded by the Southern heroes. On one Sunday afternoon, in the vear 186.5, the old court house fell to the ground. No one was about it, eonsequentl] no one was injured. In 1867, the county appropriated twenty thousand dollars to the erection of a new one, which amount was afterwards increased. To- da! Irvine boasts of one of the best court houses in a town of its size in the state. Picture accompanies. The old jail was torn down in the year 1867 and a new one erected at a cost of 10,000. Right here I wish to say in behalf of Estill County, that the numl)er of "boarders" are far short of what is usually the case in counties the size of Estill. ESTILL COUNTY COURT HOUSE Knob, from whose summit could be seen the smoke of the battle and plainly could be heard the reports of the muskets. Visitors to Estill Springs consider the climb- ing of the mountain one of the features of their visit. On the North is situated Mt. Henry. So named in honor of a citizen of Estill County, whose home graces the top of the peak. While the sides of this mountain are not so abrupt as of Sweet Lick Knob, the view is just as gorgeous. When the atmosphere is clear, the sight embraces Powell and Clark Counties. At its base is quite a rendezvous for foxes. The State Fox Hunters' Association have made this place their annual gather- In October, 1864, the guerrillas raided Irvine and burned the jail, releasing four prisoners. They then plundered the town. Irvine has been repeatedly the victim of fires. Searcely d business house in town but what has been burned. However, of late it seems that better fortune prevails in that respect, or perhaps it is because the buildings are of a better quality. On the south side of this romantic village winds the Kentucky River. 'One would have to travel many a mile and visit many a country to obtain a more picturesque and lovely view than is afforded from the 13 T-77777-777777 i I L I J1 I , I I A I History of Irvine and Estill County, Kentucky SOUTH END OF MAIN STRE4ET south end of Mfain Street. The streets of this town are wifle and regularly laid out. On either side of the streets are oXserved a fine row of maple trees, which, in the summer season, not only greatly ornament the town, hlut conIuces largely to its comfort. The streets are lighted with ,gaoline lamps, but a proposition has been sulpinitted to the City ('ouncil to furnisn electric lamps, which will in all problability be accepted. Besides, there has lben discovernd on White Oak, about three miles frome town. natural gas, and it is expected to be piped to) town for heating and lighting purposes. 'rhe town of Irvine is favorably known for its morali- tv and Christianity. There are in the town three churches for whites and one for the colored population. The Methodists have just completed a handsome brick stnieture which is a great acquisition to the other beau- tiful features which characterize it. Rev. .J. W. Jack- son is pastor at this time. The Christian Church pos- Styses a beautiful building. The Rev. Mr. Baugh is its presint minister. The Presbyterian Church also own their edifice, but as their numbers are few, they leave not at this time a regular preacher. The Metho- lists andt the (Christians each conduct successfully a Sunday school. l)r. T. Park Gardner is and has been for years the Sunday school superintendent of the Meth- -slist Sunday school, and 0. W. Witt is the superintend- ent of the Christian Sunday school. Irvine has a splendid public school building and for a period of about seven months in the year there is tauught a good school. We are happy however to an- nounce that there has been made arrangements for a wonderful improvement in the school. A proposition was made to the citizens of Irvine by the Presbyterian Church that if they would subscribe five thousand dol- lars and a suitable site, they, the Presbyterians, would establish and maintain a college here. This was prompt- ly accepted and complied with, the money being sub- scribed and the old seminary plot donated. The founda- tion has already been laved and when the spring months open up work will be resumed and the college will be completed, thus affording the finest opportunity for edu- cating the young people of our town and county, be- sides others from other counties. Three splendid physicians practice here and two dentists. There are in Irvine twelve stores, which carry a splen- dlid line of goods, which are sold at reasonable prices. thus making a first class home market. For a list of the leading merchants, see advertisements in the las of this book. The Kentucky Poplar Company are own- ers of perhaps the best saw mill on the Kentucky River. It is operated by an able management. (See ad.) The Deane Tie Company of Louisfville have their headquarters at this place and do a large business. The Cincinnati Cooperage Company owns a plant, which gives employment to a large number of men, and is con- sidered a benefit to our town. The Appelachian Gas Co. have their office here and are engaged in sinking wells about three miles from town. They have thus far sunk two wells, both of which are gas producing. 14 History of Irvine and Estill County, Kentucky THE OIL FIELDS The Estill Oil and Gas Company have offices in this plaee. The Irvine bar consists of nine members. In Irvine there are two banks. The bank of W. T. Il. Williams Son is a prosperous institution. It has a capital stock of 10,000 and a deposit of jiiore than 148.000. For further information, see advertiserient. 'The Farmers' Bank is recently organized. There are three saloons in town. Theyv pay a city tax of .5)00 per annum. They are orde]rly and well con- dlucted establish1nents. Local option has, however, been voted, and] as soon as the license of the saloon-keepers expires, whisky will no longer be sold in our town. There are two barber shops: one is conducted by a white man, Leonard Stace, and the other by Rome Cali- mese. colored, who has operated it for several years, and w-ill give you "a clean shave." There are two blacksmith shops, one shoe shop and one grist mill; also one splendid brick yard, operated Iv Jas. Stevens. The town is governed by a board of five trustees, a po- lice judge and one policeman, who occasionally employs a deputy. Irvine boasts of a good membership in Fraternal So- cieties. There is a lodge of F. and A. M., a lodge of Odd Fellows, a lodge of Knights of Pythias. There is a movement now to organize a lodge of Red Men. Irvine was laid out and chartered as a town in 1812. It was named Irvine in honor of Col. William Irvine. of Madison County. who had some interests in Estill Coun- ty. He was a warm friend of Col. James Estill, for whom the county was maianed, and was with him in manv adventures with the Indians. He was with Col. Estill in the battle with the Indians in Montgomery County. in which Col. Estill was slain and] Col. Irvine received a wound. The first house built in Irvine that is now in existence was either the brick house now occupied by Mrs. 31. P. Gardner or the brick house now occupiedt by Mirs. Flora Buibey. Mrs. Gardner's house was built by a man by the name of Stiong. He was a school teach- er-the first one ever in Irvine. This house was after- wards the property of Robert Clark. The house in which Mrs. Busbey resides was built by Ben Rawlins, father of Esquire D. B. Rawlins, of White Oak, recently de- ceased. Ben Rawlins was a manufacturer of hats. These lie would make of wool and fur and would then strap themim on his back and travel through the country selling them. There are three hotels in Irvine. The Shepherd House, so named on account of its former owner, is op- erated by Samuel L. Tudor, a genial gentleman, ex- County Court Clerk,and who has been engaged in the hotel business at this same stand for twentv years. The other hotel is called St. Catherine. It is a new edifice, brick, three stories high, centrally located, and is the is History of Irvine and Estill County, Kentucky property of Williams Bros., and is operated by Chris- topher Park. (See ad.) From the time oif the organization of the town in 1812 up to the war it gradually grew until it reached the limit of ten hundred souls. The merchants bought and sold goods to the farmers and the farmers would come to Irvine for their necessities and to have their corn and wheat ground at the mill that still stands. This mill was the property of Green C'lay, who leased it for ninetv-nine vears. It was stipulated that if it should be used for any other purpose it was to go back to the original owners. The history of Irvine fronm the beginning of the war is embraced largely in the history of Estill County, but it may not be uninteresting to refer to some of the lead- ing citizens who flourished at that time. First among that number, we will speak of John Park. He was born in Estill County in 1818 and lived on a farm until 1858. He married Louisa Francis Hume, of Madison County, in 1840. In 1858 he moved to Irvine and took charge of the Park Hotel, which had been previously run by his brother, Elihu Park, who died with the chol- era in 1849. Mr. Park ran the hotel successfully until 1860, when he entered into the mercantile business. He was a successful merchant and in partnership with his son-in-law, Mr. Joseph H. Gardner, sold more goods than any other firm up to that date. He was a devout Christian and with his wife, who was a member of the Baptist denomination, many a noble and charitable deed was performed. He died June 20, 1903. His wife died December 27,1894. M. B. Moseley, an old residenter, a merchant and a successful one, lived to a ripe old age, when he died. His wife, Mrs. Moseley, died about three years ago in Kansas City, Mo. M. M. Price, at first a farmer from Millers Creek, afterwards Circuit Court Clerk, died at an old age. His wife died about ten years ago in Indiana. W. J. Clark, one of Irvine's most successful mer- chants, captain of the home guard that was organized during the war, went to Lexington and engaged in the wholesale grocery trade, accumulating a considerable sum of money, when he died. His wife, Matilda, died in Irvine in the year . They left a son, Jo, who died about two years ago in Lexington, and was ac- counted one of the wealthiest men in Fayette County, his wealth being estimated at one-half million dollars. His son, John, a gallant soldier, Major in the 8th Ken- tuckv Infantry Volunteers, lost his health and died in Lexington. A. A. Curtis, one of Estill's most prominent men, accumulated a considerable fortune. Dr. Ansil Daniel, one of the old land marks of this county, was born in Clark County in 1801, and after studying medicine he began the practice of his profes- siob In Irvine, which he continued until his death in 1890. No man ever had more friends and more faith- fullv worked for the good of the people than did D)r. Daniel. For several years he was associated in the prac- tice with Dr. McCrear., father of our United States Senator, Hon. James B. McCreary. When the latter named was Governor of the state, it became his duty to send a delegate from this vicinity to Chicago to attend some medical society. He promptly appointed Dr. Daniel. not only because of his merit, but because of his love for his father's old partner. John H. Riddell, an eminent lawyer, was born in this countv and a resident of this town until his death at about the age of fifty-eight years. Samuel F. Miller, one of the Judges of the Supreme ('ourt of the United States. He practiced law in Irvine for a short time. John 31. Price, a lawyer, who married a daughter of Elihit Park. He moved to Atchison, Kansas, where he ranked high in the seteem of the business men. He ac- cumulated a large fortune. He was consipeuous as a member of fraternal societies. Pompey Herndon, born on Millers Creek. Afterwards moved to Irvine, where he served a term as Circuit Court Clerk. John Bruner, the veteran tanner, who afterwards moved to Clark County, where he died. Johnathan Tipton, the blacksmith of Irvine-strong, stalwart and a master of his trade. He lived to a ripe old age, when he was called to another world. Judge H. C. Lilly, one of the leading lawyers and a distinguished jurist. He was Colonel of the 14th Ken- tucky Cavalry. He accumulated a good deal of property before his death. Harry Moore, although not a resident of Irvine, was so closely allied to her interests. He was fortunate in his business affairs. John Wallace, a hard working, industrious man, lived to an advanced age, dying, left a name for industry and energy. Col. S. M. Barnes, a distinguished lawyer; Colonel of the valiant 8th Kentucky Regiment; proprietor of the Estill Springs. After the war was over he moved to Somerset, Ky., and afterwards went to Missouri, where he died. E. D. Stockton, a good citizen; a merchant of success. He made Winchester his home after the war, and after- wards moved to Richmond, Ky., where he died. J. H. Gardner, a prosperous merchant and a leader in business circles. He died leaving many mourning friends. A. D. Poell, a citizen of truth and honor. He served in the Mexican War and afterwards was Captain in the 14th Kentucky Volunteers. He died late in life. P. D. Scholl, who moved to Texas and died, leaving many friends. Andrew Shepherd, the farmer, tailor and afterwards proprietor of the hotel that still bears his name. He also lived to quite an advanced age. 16 History of Irvine and Estill County, Kentucky W. T. B. Williams, one of the acknowledged leaders in the business affairs of the county. He was a suc- cessful man in his undertakings and died at his home in this town. John M. Park, a wealthy farmer. A devout Metho- (list. He moved to Madison County, where he died. 1), B. Scholl, one of Irvine's physicians. He was the father of Al Scholl, who belonged to the 8th Kentucky Infantry, and died while in the army. It. W. Smith, a lawyer, a true Christian, a genial, kind-hearted man. He died at an old age. C . W. Friend, one of Irvine's old merchants. He was successful in his business career and died at an old age. RESIDENCE OF MRS. Si. P. GARDNER We will now' close our bistory. We hope it will be satisfadory to its readers and that they moa consider it ofsufficient interest to invest a lit- tle and send to theirfriends who hay, removed to other States. The price is only 50 centsper copy. 17 c5Mr. and c5Irs. J. H. Gardner. of Dental Surgery. He is now a successful practitioner at Irvine. Joseph Samuels Gardner married Miss Myrtle Williams, daughter of W. T. B. Williams. They now reside at Jacksonville, Florida, where they purchased ele- gant property. During the war of 1861-5 Mr. J. H. Gardner was ap- pointed quartermaster of the 8th Ky. Inf. Vol., hut re- signed soon afterwards. Mr. Gardner was ever known as the friend of the poor and many prosperous citizens of Estill County can ascribe their prosperity to him. He i was a consistent member of the M. E. Church, South, and a staunch Democrat. The accompanying picture Is of his widow, who resides In the old homestead with her eldest son, T. Park. They have just reputation for charity and the entertain- ment of their many friends. Mrs. Gardner Is also a member of the M. E. Church, South, and It Is a pleasure to witness her devotion to the cause of Christ. Joseph H. Gardner was born in Virginia July 1, 1820. His father, Joseph H., was born In Boston, Mass., and his mother, Anna Maria Theresa Sophia Clotilda Delarge Raisont, was born In France, near Marsailles. His parents died when he was quite young. The first bust- ness enterprise of the subject of this sketch was selling goods at Salyersville, Magoffin County, Ky. In Novem- ber. 1848, he married Miss Mary J. Howerton. to which marriage were born Hamilton Reed, Henry William, Laura Eliza, Mary Rebecca, Joseph, Jennie Clark and Colin Grant; only one of whom are now living, Laura Eliza. She became the wife of Leslie Thompson, a grandson of Dr. A. Daniel. Mr. Gardner's wife died April 15. 1865. Having moved to Irvine, Ky., Mr. Gard- ner entered Into partnership with John Park in the sale of merchandise. On the 30th day of August, 1866, he married Miss Mary A., daughter of John Park. To them were horn two children, T. Park and Joseph. Both of them are living. T. Park Gardner is a dentist, graduat- ing with the highest honors at the Pennsylvania College MR. AND MRS. JOHN PARK He was the real founder of that church in this town. He died at a ripe old age, June 20, 1903. No man ever lived in Estill who had more friends and fewer enemies. He died the happy death of a Christian. The wife of John Park, Miss Louisa Francis Hume, was the descendant of one of the families of England, who were the possessors of great wealth. They are the legal heirs to a vast estate in that country, but unfortu- nately for the heirs, limitation has deprived them of the benfit. Hiss Hume was a great belle in bhe young days, her beauty, education, refinement and general excellence as a woman made her a universal favorite and much admired woman. She was the mother of eight children, and when I use the word 'Mother," I mean to express all the term Implies. Ambitious she was, and she as- i mored to having her children educated to the highest attainment. She was a thorough Christian. She was a memnber of the Old Baptist Church. Her charities are well know to the poor of this vicinity. She was born j Jan. 14, 1820, and died Dec. 27, 1894. The remains of both of these departed ones are rest- lng in the beautifitl Richmond cemetery. Peace to their ashte.. No one who looks at these pictures can fail to recog- nize the nobility of character that existed in the lives of the individuals. John Park was born Jan. 12, 1818, on Station Camp, Estill County, Ky. His father was an early settler from North Carolina. He owned and culti- vated a farm on Station Camp Creek. Although he was himself uneducated, he gave his children the best op- portunities that those times afforded. John Park, the subject of this sketch, was the youngest son in a very large family. He attended the common schools In his neighborhood, often walking five or six miles through tWe snows of winter to get knowledge. Being a bright young boy, he succeeded in acquiring a better education than most of his neighbors. In 1840, Nov. the 5th, he married Miss Louisa Francis Hume, one of the most at- tractive ladies In Madison County. They lived for a while on the farm of his father, and afterwards he bought the farm directly across the river from Irvine. Here he made money, and In 1858 he brought his family to Ir- vine, engaging In the hotel business. About the begin- ning of the war he embarked in the mercantile business wvith Mr. J. H. Gardner, afterwards his son-in-law. Hon- est dealing won for them the acme of success. They sold more goods than any firm In Irvine. He believed in giving his children a good education, and to this end he spent a good deal of money. He was a devout Christian. M. E. CHURCH SOUTH CHRISTIAN CHURCH PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH RESIDENCE OF HON. J. F. WEST This beautiful residence Is the home of Hon. J. F. West, whose picture is herewith presented. Mr. West lives a mile from the Irvine court house. He Is regarded by the citizens of Estill County as one of the most enter- prising and best citizens. He was born in Jackson Coun- ty, Ky., Dec. 20, 1852, and moved to Estill County in 1884. He lived on Station Camp Creek, in the capacity of a farmer, where he married a daughter of John P. Scrivner. To them were born four children, three of whom still survive. He married his last wife, Miss Lucy Norton, In 1890, by whom he is the father of five chil- dren, all of which are alive. FREDERICK WILLIAM OWEN Born at Watertown, Jefferson Co., N. Y., Jan. 20, 18b7. Acad. educ. Grad. Lowville Acad. Lewis Co., N. Y. Grad. M. D. Michigan Col. of Med. 1882. Passed Med. Exam. Brd. Va. Oct. 26, 1894. OElec. Fel. 1894. At- tended Sess. 1894. Memb. Wayne Co. Med. Sec. Detroit, Mich. Memb. Amer. Med. Assn. 1883, 1884, 1885. Co. Phys. Wayne Co. March, 1883-6, as such made over 400 autopsies in criminal cases. Dem. Anat. Detroit and Mich. Cols. of Med. 1886, 1886, 1887-90. Papers-sev- eral, but have forgotten titles and dates. At this time member Ky. Med. AAssociation, member Powell Valley Med. Association, member Estill County Medical Assn. Also author of Med. Work entitled "Post Mortems, or What to Look for; How to Make Them." Mr. West has always been a prominent citizen and one who Is always ready to advance the interest of the peo- ple. He was, in 1884, elected as Representative from Estill and Lee Counties to the State Constitutional Con- vention. He was the tather of the law restricting the poll tax to 1.50 per capita. At that time the poll tax in Estill County was 3.00 per capita. The benefit that he thus bestowed upon the masses served to increase his popularity. He served a term as Sheriff of Estill County, and proved himself to be a competent business man and an excellent officer. He is an extensive dealer in logs, ties and is a large farmer. 1883 1906 When In Richmond Call Upon COVINGTON, AftL i IN., WELL KNOWN GROCERS WHO HANDLE THE LARGEST STOCK OF Groceries, Queensware, Field Seeds, Sall, Lime and Cement, Hay, Corn and Oats When in need of any of these communicate with us for we give instant attention to all inquiries and guarantee the Lowest Market Price. GIVE US A TRIAL. THAT'S ALL WE ASL COVINGTON ARNOLD SRO., RXMOND. KY. Kentucky River Poplar Company. N a a f a t u r s n d D e ae in YELLOW PaN, WMe OAK, Car ster and Oak Timbr LUMHER YARD, KY. RIVER POPLAR CO. 8AW MILL, KY. RIVER POPLAR CO. W. J. ROBERTS ... ........... President M. HUGHITT, JR .............. Vice President D. K. JEFFRIES ............. Secretary and Treasurer This mill, one of the best on the Kentucky River, was founded In 1891 by J. G. Boltz. It was burned in 1899. Mr. Boltz retiring from the ownership, the mill became the property of D. C. Ingalls. He was succeeded by The Magann-Fawke Lumber Company, and they sold their Interest to the present owners, The Kentucky River Pop- lar Company. IIVINF, KY., FR.ANKFORT, KY., CHICAGO, LL. This mill supplies the Pullman Palace Car manufac- turers with more material than is furnished by any other mill in the state. Under the management of M. G. Wlghtman, a large supply of choice oak lumber was ordered to Liverpool. Upon Its arrival, its excellent quality was discovered, and without any solicitation upon the part of the managers of the mill, it was placed upon exhibit and received a premium for being the best the world had ever pro- duced. So much for Estill County and the Kentucky River Poplar Company. WAGERS' HEIGHTS The owner of this magnificent home Is Mrs. R. P. Wagers. July 30, 1868, she was married to J. W. Wagers, a prosperous young business man of Estill County. He was one of the heroes of the valiant 8th Kentucky Regiment, and won especial honor in being one of the six heroes who planted the Stars and Stripes on Lookout Mountain in 1863. He was an esteemed business man of Estill County. After his death In 1889, the management of their extensive and valuable farm devolved upon the widow, the present proprietress, Mrs. R. P. Wagers. She has given evidence of unusual ability and her farm, which is one of the richest in the state of Kentucky, has placed the happy family in splendid circumstances. The accompanying picture, called "Wagers Heights," Is an evidence of the thrift and ;ood taste that belongs to the mother and her family. R. M. JOHNSON Born In Powell County, Ky., 10th of June, 1845, his parents moving to Estill County when he was 7 years old. Mr. Johnson as a boy lived on the farm with his parents, taking an active part In the farm life until the Civil War, at which time, not being old enough to enlist in the army, In September, 1861, enlisted In a government wagon train under Williams Smallwood as wagon master; went to Louisville to a corral on the Louisville Nashville R. R., worked there and broke mules with thirty other wagoners until each of their six-mule teams were broken. He drove from Louisville by way of Frankfort and Lexington to Richmond, Ky., there loaded with commis- saries anti drove by way of the Two Log Mountains to Cumberland Gop, crossing Cumberland River at Cumber- land Ford, arriving at the gap a few days before George Morgan's retreat from that place. He was discharged from the wagon train the third day before Morgan's retreat from the Gap; returned to Estill County and stayed with his widowed mother that winter, making a crop for her in the season of 1862. He en- listed August 4, 1862, In the regular Union army In Capt. Sylvester Isaac's Company E., 14th Ky. Cavalry, served his time of enlistment out, and was discharged at Camp Nelson, Ky., on the 24th day of March, 1864. Cast his first vote for Abraham Lincoln for his second term as President at the November election, 1864, and has been an active politician and staunch Republican ever since. Was appointed deputy sheriff under J. F. West in 1893, but on account of sickness In family resigned. Was ap- pointed U. S. storekeeper and gauger under Harrison's administration. Was elected Jailer of Estill County in the year 1901, serving the full term, and was re-elected for the ensuing term of four years at the November elec- tion, 190,. He has made a competent official and enjoys the confidence of the people. RESIDENCE OF Jonah Park Wagers, oldest son of William H. Wagers and Ellisa Park, was born April 11, 1860, on Station Camp Creek, about six miles south of Irvine. Having bought his freedom from his father for one hundred and fifty dollars, he, at the early age of eighteen years, en- tered the mercantile business, in which he has enjoyed phenomenal success. Honest and upright in all his dealings with the public, he has firmly established him- JONAH WAGERS self and his business with everyone. The business has grown so rapidly that, besides the handsome store at Wagersville, where he keeps everything that is found in a modern, up-to-date store, Mr. Wagers is junior mem- ber of the firm of Wagers Rice, at Rice Station, and has interests in two other progressive stores in Estill and Jackson Counties. He is also an extensive log and tie dealer, and one of Estill County's foremost farmers. JONAH WAGERS JONAH WAGERS' STORE RERIDENCE AND STORE OF F. It. DAVIDSON The owner and proprietor of this beautiful home and store house Is Mr. F. R. Davidson, one of Irvine's most successful and enterprising merchants. Mr. Davidson was born in Athens, Fayette County, Ky., May 5, 1854, where he lived until he was twenty- one years of age. While living at this place he was en- gaged In farming and also was a brick and stone mason. He left Athens and moved to Drip Rock, Jackson County, where he was employed in the mercantile business. Be- ing successful in the pursuit of his business, he desired a better field, and he accordingly came to Estill County, and in the year 1899 he came to Irvine, where he estab- lifhed a grand trade. Two years ago he erected a large store house and this summcr he connected with it a model dwelling. fie carries a general line of goods and by his system of selling at low prices and handling good goods, he is recognized as a permanent institution of this place. In 1877 he married Miss M. E. Parsons, and to her he is indebted for a great portion of his success. They both profess their Christianity, being members of the Mis- sionary Baptist Church since he was seventeen years of age. To them were born five children-two boys and three daughters. The oldest son is acknowledged to be a fine mechanic, and the daughters are much admired for their beauty and sterling qualities. During the two years he has practiced law he has built up a business that is highly satisfactory to himself and friends considering the short time he has been engaged. He Is unmarried. MNL F. A. LYON, PreFident of the Company, whose picture is herewith presented. was born in Scott County, Ky., Nov. 12, 1858, and received his education at Georgetown College. In 1877 he married Mies Mamie P. Sinclair, and has an in- teresting family of two sons and two daughters. In 1890 Mr. Lyon selected Beattyville as a good place to operate Insurance. He commenced business representing only one company, The Fireman's Fund. Energy and fine be-news tact enabled him to prosper until at this time they have incorporated their business under the title of F. A. Lyons and Son Company, and are the representa- tives of twenty-four leading companies. They operate Life, Fire, Tornado, Health and Accident, Employer's Li- ability, Steam Boiler, Plate Glass and Fidelity Insurance. Mr. Lyon in a member of the Baptist Church, member of the Masonic order, and is a Knight of Pythias. His reputation as a business man Is unexcelled by any one. CLARENCE MILLER The subject of this sketch, Clarence Miller, was born In Estill County on the 27th day of January, 1878. He ;a raised on a farm and attended the public schools until he was 16, when he began teaching. He entered Sta e College at twenty, and would have graduated In a thort time, but was nominated by the Republican party ef his county for County Superintendent, without oppo- iWion, and was elected the following fall without oppo- sition from the Democratic party, being barely old enough to be eligible at the time of his election. He began the ct udy of law at leisure hours during his fBrst term of office and finally went to C. U. College of Kentucky, zvhrre he graduated in law, attaining the highest honors of his class. He was re-elected County Superintendent of Schools by a majority which Indicated that his first term proved satisfactory to the people of his county, and is now serving a second term. NM J. P. LYON, whose likeness we take pleasure in producing, was born at Georgetown, Ky., Jan. 28, 1879. He is a Mason, a Knight of Ppthias and a member of the Imp. Order of Red Men. He is universally popular and over the terri- tory through which he travels he possesses the esteem and confidence of his customers. He is bound to make a leader in his line. He is in partnership with his father, F. A. Lycn. at B2attyville, Ky. CHARLES W. FRIEND The subject of this sketch, Mr. Charles W. Friend, was born In Prestonburg, Ky., Dec. 25, 1825, and lived to the age of 66. Coming to Irvine when a young man, he opened a mercantile establishment, whose success kept pace with the spreading reputation of Its founder for honesty, probity and uprightness. Starting a poor young man, his success was due alone to his own untiring ef- fort and square dealing. There perhaps never lived in Estill County a man who enjoyed a more generous share of the sincere confidence and popular esteem of his fel- lowmen. His name has ever been synonymous with in- tegrity and morality. No man ever did more than Mr. Friend in his quiet but forceful way to uplift the stand- ard of citizenship of his town and county. Though he has been gone for a number of years, the influence and memory of his noble character and exemplary life live after him. In 1857 he married Rebecca Frances, daughter of Col. J. H. Riddell, who with a daughter, Mrs. E. G. B. Mann, and two sons survive him. Mrs. Friend and sons, Chas. W. and Robt. R., reside at the old Friend home on Main Street. The two latter are prominent members of the local bar. RESIDENCE OF W. P. WILLIAMS This most charming residence is the admiration of our own citizens as well as of every stranger who visits our romantic town. It is the property of Mr. William P. Williams, Cashier of the banking establishment of W. T. B. Williams and Sons, Irvine, Ky. Although he is yet a young man, he is considered the "child of good for- tune." He was born Aug. 31, 1878, at the present home of his mother. After he grew to the advanced age of a young man, he attended the Kentucky State College at Lexington, where he graduated with honor. Returning to his old mountain home, he accepted a position in the drug store and postoffice of his brother Thomas, which position he filled for a period of two years. Afterwards his father and brother, Thos. Williams, organized a bank known as W. T. B. Williams and Sons' bank, and this young man was elected to the position of cashier, which place he has filled for six years. His exeprience is large- ly responsible for the success of that institution. On January 21, 1904, he married the charming Miss Cordella Jackson Bull, of Frankfort, Ky. She is the daughter of one of Frankfort's leading merchants. Her presence in our town is regarded as a great acquisition by our people. Mr. Williams is a member of the Elks, the Odd Fellows and is a Knight of Pythias. Judge W. H. Lilly-. Judge W. H. Lilly, one of our best known citizens was born in Powell County, but at a very early age moved to Estill, where he has since resided. He was born March 19, 1859. He received his education at schools in Irvine and at College Hill. After he had concluded his course of study he taught a public school at Irvine, at Cow Creek and at White Oak. He was an acknowledged fine educator. After an experience of that character, he commenced the study of law under his father, Judge H. C. Lilly, wide and favorably known as an accomplished lawyer. Completing his course, he entered into partner- ship with his father and they enjoyed a large practice throughout the eastern portion of the state. In 1889 he married Miss Fannie Richardson, one of the beauti- ful daughters of Simpson Richardson, ex-Sheriff of Estill County. To them was born one son, Pleasant, a bright boy and one whom it is expected will make his mark in the world. In 1887 Judge Lilly became the owner of the beautiful Estill Springs property. Judge Lilly is possessed with an inventive mind. He has patented an air ship and is now working upon a gravity motor, which he considers will be of great value when completed. Judge Lilly is known as a man of honor and a firm believer in Truth. His clients can place the most implicit faith in him. He seems to have made for his guiding maxim, "Great is Truth and will prevail." LOUIS SCHLEGEL. HIS GALLERY AND HIS HOME AT RICHMOND, KY. LOUIS SCHLEGEL, Phctcgiapher. Was born in the Blue Alsacian Mountains, in France, coming to America when quite a child. He first located in Cincinnati, O., where he spent his early life. The love for the mountains and the quiet life caused the noise and bustle of city life to pall upon him. After learning the photographic profession he started out in search of a location, coming to Richmond In the year of 1879, with the expectation of only remaining a year, and then moving to another location. But the congeni- ality, hospitality and appreciation of good photographs of the people of Richmond caused him to remain. As the years went by his trade steadily grew and he found himself becoming attachcd to the people of the city of his adoption. In 1894 he bought what seemed to most people a worthless old hillside on the outskirts of Rich- mond, and a year later, after having it cleared and a beautiful driveway made, built a palatial home. Finding his old location for his gallery becoming more and r.;ore inconvenient, in 1902 he bought a lot on Third street, a few doors from Main (his present location), and built the large and commanding structure shown In the illustration. Being his own architect, he designed his reception room, operating room, dark room and work- shop, all of which are arranged in the most up-to-date manner. For twenty-seven years Mr. Schlegel has been the leading photographer of Richmond and Madison County, and to his ability in this profession the photo- graphs in this book fully testify, as well as thousands of lortraits scattered throughout the country. Beiig of an artistic temperament, he understands the art of posing and grouping his subjects to the best ad- vantage. His pictures have taken the highest prizes at photographic conventions where he has competed. as a citizen, he is one of our best. Honest, honorable and conscientious in all of his dealings with those he comes in contact. He has more than done his share to build til) Richmond. LOUISVILLE TIN AND STOVE COMPANY. OFFICE AND SALESROOM 621 WEST MAIN STREET, LOUISVILLE, KY. MANUFACTURERS OF MOGREFS STOVES AND RANGES, STOVE PIPE AND ELBOWS. KNUS AND MARS STEEL RANGES, OIL ANI) GASOLINE TANKS, ' NO STEEL RANGES, PIECED TINWARE, fILD DUST STEEL RANGES, JAPANNED TINWARE, IR-TIGHT HEATING STOVES, STAM PED TINWARE, ILLWWWARE. GRATES, ETC. SHEET-IRON WARE. WHOLESALE DEALERS IN Mrdware, Table Cutlery, Watches, Oil Stoves, oodenware, Razors, Lamps, Gasoline Stoves, lassware, Scissors and Shears, Lanterns, Fruit Jars, onware, Axes and Hatchets, Burners, Fruit Cans, 'ire Goods, Saws, Wicks, Filters, tefrigerators, Shovels and Spades, Wash lBoards, l'aper, -wing Machines, Hoes and Rakes. Brooms, Paper Bags, ssahing Machines, Fay Forks, Brushes, Pumps, ne Mills, Manure Forks, Coal Hods, Freezers, raporators, Miners' Supplies. Coal Vases, Wagons, mow Cases, Cartridges, Corn Planters, Velocipedes, )mputing Scales, ILaded Shells, Corn Knives, French Harps, sunter Scales, Fishing Tackle, Smoking Pipes, c., e. [attorm Scales, Farm Bells, Coffee Urns, oeket Cutlery, Clocks, Rope and Twine, TIN PLATE, SHEET IRON, ROOFING, GUTTERING, c. Write for Catalogue and Price List. PI VI it G4 Al HI H, W (Gl Ic w RI St W St Ct PI l's J. P. MILLER'S STORE John P. Miller, the proprietor of the a companying business establishment, was born March 18, 1864, in Wisemantown, Estill County, Ky. He succeeded his father, Frank S. Miller, In the conduct of his present business in 1885. He lives in the same home in which he was born, but is at this time erecting a new and pala- tial residence. In the year 1888 "I was converted at a Masonic Altar in Irvine Lodge No. 137, F. and A. M. June 19th, I quit the use of tobacco. On July 22nd, I was sanctified, and this date I am still saved and sanctified-kept by the power of God. Glory to His name. My occupation R. C. ADAMS Prof. R. C. Adams, whose picture accompanies thin sketch, was born in Madison County, Ky., Aug. 16, 1869. In his childhood he gave evidence of remarkable musical ability. After he was grown he adopted the avocation of teacher of the Divine Art. He was eminently success- ful and since that time he has graduated with honor at Katanning Conservatory at Katanning, Penn. Also at Pittsburg, Pa., and at Philadelphia, Penn. Also at Mi- ami University, Oxford, Ohio. In 1904 he took the state examination in Ohio and received a first class diploma. As an educator in music we extend the highest praise. to support a good wife, Flora E., the daughter of Dr. Mi. P. Scott, of Estill County, and seven obedient, loving children, Frank, Anna, Cecil, Lizzie, Scottie, Ruth and Glen. You will see herewith my handsome store house, In which I carry a general line of merchandise-everything that is usually kept in a country store, except tobacco and cards. I am also a dealer in railroad ties, tan bark and lumber, My trade mark is "Live and Let Live," so come and let us reason together that our lives may be long and prosperous on the land of Estill County and afterwards a home in heaven. "Meet me there." J. W. TUTTLE. Amongst our prominent business men in Estill Coun- ty there ranks J. W. Tuttle, of Forks Precinct, Justice of the Peace, one of the most worthy. He was born April 28, 1859, and was raised a farmer boy. He was not Eatisfied with a common education, so he devoted his energies to obtaining something more than ordinary. He, upon the corapletion thereof, taught several schools, to the advantage of his pupils and to his own credit. He married Miss Malinda Wiseman, daughter of H. B. Wiseman, one of our most successful business men. To them were born four children. As an officer of the county, he has opposed the pay- ment of the railroad tax, and has thereby rendered him- self popular. As a business man, he is a: uccess. RES4IDENC'E OF The owner of this beautiful home is Mr. Thomas Will- lams, President of Williams and Sons' Bank. Mr. Williams is noted for his remarkable business at- tainments and phenomenal success in whatsoever he un- dertakes. A few years ago he was a poor boy, but characterized with Indomitable energy and fine business tact, prosperity seemed to wait upon him. Today, be- sides being the President of the leading bank in our city, THVS. WILIAAMt he is a large and successful dealer in railroad ties, tan bark, has extensive farming interests, and is our Circuit Court Clerk. He married in September, 1899 Miss Catharine Clark, a charming woman of Clark County. Their lovely home is often the scene of handsome en- tertainments and good cheer. They have the congratu- lations and good wishes of a host of friends. ST. CATfIERINE HOTEL The best hotel in the state, according to the verdict management of a hotel. No want is known that is not of the traveling men (and they know), is the St. Cath- promptly filled by the genial host and wife. erine, a picture of which here appears. This is a three- Any one who can reach this hotel should not fail to story brick house, containing about forty rooms. It is spend their Sundays here. The proprietor keeps on hand the property of Williams Brothers. It is in the care sulphur water that is unexcelled by any in the state. and under the management of Mr. Christopher Park and With the fine mountain scenery and the proximity to the his busineliike wife, who are certainly experts in the river, this is a model summer resort. STORE OF DILLARD WILLIAMS Mr. Dillard M. Williams, the owner of this fine store staves, etc. He Is also the owner and proprietor of a house, was born Nov. 8, 1871, in Estill County. On Oct. splendid store, where he Is selling a large. quantity of 9, 1902, he married Miss Ellen Baker, daughter of E. M. goods. He carries In stock everything needed by farm- Baker, of K. N. Junction. They are the fond parents of ers, mechanics, river men and almost every one else. His a sweet little boy. stock consists of Dry Goods, Groceries, Notions, Furnish- Mr. Williams is noted for his Industrious habits and ing Goods, Boots and Shoes, Hats, Hardware. etc., and it his indifference to exposure whenever duty calls him. He Is a fact that any one hunting good bargains can find lived a few years in Motley, Minn., where he was inter- them at the store of Mr. Williams. Mr. Williams has ested in the lumber trade. He accumulated a nice little sum of money, when he decided to return to his old never had any political aspirations, but Is a man who de- home, Estill County. He purchased a good farm and is votes his whole time and attention to the conduct of his still largely engaged in the handling of saw logs, ties, business, and has been successful. Mr. R. M. Garrett, whose picture accompanies this sketch, was born In Estill County, Ky., Oct. 23, 1860. He was the soil of R. H. Garrett, a well known and high- ly respected farmer. R. M. Garrett, generally called "Bob," was raised upon the farm of his father until he was about twenty-one years of age, when he fell In love with Miss Lillie B. Warford, whom he married Jan. 5, 1882. To themG were born four children-all boys. Mr. Garrett continued to work upon his farm, which he had bought, until he was elected Sheriff of the county in 1902 by the Republicans without opposition. Now, that his term of office has expired, he will make Irvine his home, although he will continue to operate his farm. He Is connected with the new bank, recently organized at this place, the Farmers' Bank, and Is one of the directors of that Institution. His oldest son, Oscar, Is a bright business young man. R. M. GARRETT He served as deputy sheriff under his father, and now is engaged by the newly elected Sheriff, Mr. A. M. Dur- bin, to retain his position. E. P. CAMPBELL'S LIVERY STABLE' One of Estill's representative business men is Mr. E. P. Campbell. Mr. Campbell was born November 16, 1858, in this county. His father was T. J. Campbell, an honest farmer; his mother was the daughter of Jonah Park. her name is Elizabeth. Mr. E. P. Campbell was educated in the common schools of the county, but he seemed to realize the neces- sity of an education and he therefore applied himself to master whatever came in his way. While a boy he assisted his father on the farm and acquired a knowl- edge that in after years proved to be of great benefit to him. As soon, however, as he quit school, he became a teacher himself, and taught for thirteen years. Many of his old pupils are proud today to say that they studied under Mr. Campbell. He then served a term as deputy sheriff under his father-in-law, Simpson Richardson. Under President Cleveland's second administration he served for four years as storekeeper and gauger. Then A. M DURBIIN he embarked in the grocery and butcher business, where he remained for seven years. Believing that there was a fine prospect to make money in the livery business, he bought the livery stable of Thomas Vaughn and also bought his residence. His ideas were correct, because Mr. Campbell has had and is still having great success attend him in the conduct of same. In 1881 he married Miss Annie Richardson, daughter of Simpson Richardson, a well-to-do farmer and the Sheriff of this county. -To them were born five children -four boys and one girl. The experience of Mr. Camp- bell In his business affairs proves that every rule has its exceptions. To quote "A rolling stone gathers no moss" is surely a mistake in this instance. Mr. Campbell not only has the satisfaction of knowing that he is a success as a business man, but he also has the satisfaction of knowing that he has a host of friends, who are glad of his achievements. Mr. A. M. Durbin, whose photograph is herewith pre- sented, is regarded as one of Estill County's successful and most diligent citizens. He was born Feb. 25, 1856, in Estill County. He is the son of Edward Durbin, one of the county's well known farmers. Mr. A. M. Durbin received a common school education, and followed the example of his father in the choice of occupation, re- maining upon the farm until 1892, when he moved to Old Landing and established a store. He has been a favored son of fortune. From the time of 1870, when he was a poor boy without a dollar to his name, he has accumulated more than twenty thousand dollars up to this date, and with his prospects and fine business ex- perience, it will be safe to say that within the next few years he will more than double that amount. In 1871 he married Rebecca Wells, to whom were born five children. After her death, he married Amy Stamper, and to them were born a like number of chil- dren. Mr. Durbin certainly approves of Roosevelt's ideas on the subject of matrimony. Mr. Durbin is Postmaster at Old Landing. He was last month elected Sheriff of Estill County. IN. T. B. WILLIAMS Mr. W. T. B. Williams, whose photograph is herewith presented, Is an acknowledged leader In the financial world. That is, he was until four years ago death took him from his numerous friends. He had, however, been blessed with a long life, being at the time of his death seventy years of age. He was regarded as a prominent man in business circles. At the time of his death he was the head of the banking establishment of W. T. B. Williams and Sons. Springing from the home of a poor farmer, he certainly deserves the praise which he gets because of his remarkable success In life. He was a member of Bibb Lodge, F. and A. M. and was buried by that body, assisted by the Richmond Lodge, In the beautiful cemetery at Richmond, Ky. Mr. Williams was twice married. His first wife was Miss White and the second wife was Miss Hamilton, daughter of Alex Hamil- ton, widely and favorably known in this county. His last wife and six children survive him. Mr. Williams was a true believer In the doctrine of the Calvanist Baptist and many the day he would travel many miles to attend Association or some other celebration of that body. We feel that his numerous friends will appreciate this slight token of esteem for our dear friend and will all unite in speaking a good word for him. W. T. B. Williams CL Sons, Bankers IRVINE, KENTUCKY. CAPITAL ....... e 10,000 DEPOSI ....... 148,000 Offers every convenience and accommodation consist- ent with sound banking principles and respectfully so- licits your account. Office": W. T. B. WILLIAMS, President. THOMAS WILLIAMS, Vice President. G. B. WILLIAMS, Second Vice President. JOHN C. CLARK, Teller. WILLIAM P. WILLIAMS, Cashier. MISS LULA SNOWDEN, Stenographer and Book-keeper. RESIDENCE OF Dr. Cornelius Marcum, whose home appears herewith, is regarded as one of the best physicians In Estill Coun- ty. As a business man, also, he enjoys an enviable repu- tation. He was born near Traveler's Rest in Owsley County, Dec. 30, 1865. In 1878 his father moved to Estill County, where he could have the benefits of better schools. He attended the county schools until the years 1887 and 1888, completing his high school course at that place. The years 1890-991-92 he attended the Med- ical Department of Central University or Hospital Col- lege of Medicine at Louisville, Ky., and received from that Institution the degree of M. D. June 20, 1892. He located for the practice of his profession at Millers DR. C. MARCUM Creek, Estill County, on Aug. 9 following his graduation. On Jan. 28, 1893, he was married to Miss Florence Neal, a daughter of Sidney Neal. Fortune, which had seemed to attend him in his previous career, continued to smile upon him, when he was blessed with so excellent a wo- man for a wife. In November of the same year, Dr. Marcum was elected school superintendent, which position he filled with sat- isfaction to the people. Besides the practice of medicine, Dr. Marcum is en- gaged in the railroad tie purchasing and trading busi- ness, and has been eminently successful in the conduct of same. POST OFFIVE AND STORE OF 'r. Q. WALLACE. The picture represents the store house of T. Q. Wal- He is ably assisted by F. J. Stevens. lace, one of the leading merchants of Irvine. He is a wide-awake merchant and gives his customers He carries a general line of up-to-date goods, consist- good value for their money. ing of Groceries, Confections, Hats, Shoes and he makes a specialty of Gent's Furnishing Goods, of which he keeps Give him a call when you desire to purchase anything a well selected lot. in his line and you will not regret it. RESIDENCE OF MRS. LENA WALLACE Mrs. Lena Wallace, the owner of this beautiful home, is one of the most accomplished milliners in the state of Kentucky. She carries a large assortment of goods, which she runs in connection with the general merchan- dise of her husband, who does business under the firm name of D. A. J. A. Wallace, in Irvine. Sad to relate, only a few days after the artist se- cured a picture of this lovely home it was destroyed by fire, but true to the business principles that character- ize Mrs. Wallace, she was insured and has now built a residence that surpasses this one in beauty and con- venience. It i6 situated on the Kentuckv River and from its wide verandas can be seen at any time one of the most beautiful views that exists in this country, where all is lovelv and beautiful. LOOK US UP WiEN YOU INED DEPENDABLE BUILDING MATERIAL ____AT Reasonable Prices. ROUGH AND DRESSED LUMBER, DOORS, SASH, FLOORING, SIDING, CEILING, MOULDINGS, SHINGLES, LATH Prices for the Asking. MILL AND YARD OPP. L. A. DEPOT. BLANTON E CO. INCORPORATED. Richmond, Ky. THE GROCER THE CATERER Everything furnished in Season. Do you want a good dinner or breakfast or supper, be sure to call on Joe and you will get it. Do you want any nice gceries, be sure to call on Joe and you will get it. EVERYTHING CLEAN, NICE AND COSY. TRAN SYLVANIA CO., LEADING PRINTERS. SrATIONERS, OFCE SUPPLIE, BLANK DOOKS, Art MateriaL Cameras d Supples LEXINGTON, KY. JOCE'S OLD SCHOOL BUILDING HI(,"SH XIl()OIll ll.