You have found an item located in the Kentuckiana Digital Library.
History of Louisville Citizens Union National Bank (Louisville, Ky.) 400dpi TIFF G4 page images University of Kentucky, Electronic Information Access & Management Center Lexington, Kentucky 2002 b96-15-36619913 Electronic reproduction. 2002. (Beyond the shelf, serving historic Kentuckiana through virtual access (IMLS LG-03-02-0012-02) ; These pages may be freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. History of Louisville Citizens Union National Bank (Louisville, Ky.) s.n., [S.l. : 19--]  p. : chiefly ill. ; 30 cm. Coleman Cover title. "The series of advertisements ... originally appeared in the Louisville daily papers." Microfilm. Atlanta, Ga. : SOLINET, 1997. 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. (SOLINET/ASERL Cooperative Microfilming Project (NEH PS-21089) ; SOL MN06590.03 KUK) Printing Master B96-15. IMLS This electronic text file was created by Optical Character Recognition (OCR). No corrections have been made to the OCR-ed text and no editing has been done to the content of the original document. Encoding has been done through an automated process using the recommendations for Level 1 of the TEI in Libraries Guidelines. Digital page images are linked to the text file. Louisville (Ky.) History. 6A HI-TI This page in the original text is blank. Foreword 7 The series of advertisements, reproduced herewith in booklet form, originally ap- peared in the Louisville daily papers just prior to the physical consolidation of the Citizens Union National Bank, the Fi- delity and Columbia Trust Company, and the Louisville Joint Stock Land Bank. An attempt has been made in these ad- vertisements to portray some of the more colorful events in the history of a city rich in historical lore and tradition. The dates, facts, and figures that constitute a part of this series have been verified in- sofar as the published histories and rec- ords of our City and State permit. This little booklet is presented to you with the hope that it may prove sufficiently interesting from a historical standpoint to make it worthy of preservation. An Announcement LOUISVILLE 5YA'e History ofd City+ CITIZENS UNION HE opening of the new banking room and offices of the Citizens Union National Bank and The Louis- ville Joint Stock Land Bank in the Inter-Southern Building, on May 29, 1922, marked an epoch in the banking history of Louisville. Within about three months The Fidelity and Columbia Trust Company will move from its present quarters in the Columbia Building into this splendid new home at Fifth and Jefferson Streets. The completion of this physical change will find these three institutions housed under the same roof and merged into one compact and efficient organization, with unsur- passed facilities for the transaction of every form of banking and trust service. The Citizens Union Fourth Street Bank, which so well serves the retail section of the city, constitutes the final and completing link in this great scheme of financial service, strength and efficiency. This is the first of a series of historical advertisements prepared to review the growth and development of Louis- ville. It is hoped that the joint physical occupancy of the new quarters by these financial institutions, which will mark the conclusion of this advertising series, will stand out as one of the great mile-stones in the history of Louisville. NATIONAL BANK FIDELUlIY & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. (bZm1plete PEndncial Service CITIZENS UNION FOURTH ST VA-VNK LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK BANK The Falls of the Ohio LOUISVILLE 0_ ISke /Ls tory ofa City - CITIZENS UNION ENE LA SALLE paddled down the Ohio River in the sear 1669, believing that he wvas on his way to the Gulf of California. SineQ there is no authentic con- firmation of the accounts of earlier exploring parties, La Salle must be accorded the honor of being the first white man to visit the Falls of the Ohio. From that time on many parties of hunters and explorers visited the present site of Louisville. In 1766 two British officers surveyed the Falls and a map was drawn by Captain Hutchins, which is a striking picture even to this day. In-1778 General George Rogers Clark landed a little band of pioneers on Corn Island and left theni there to eke out a precarious existence, surrounded by hostile savages. On De- cember 25th of that same year, these first settlers moved from Corn Island into a fort, which they had built at the foot of what is now Twelfth Street, and there celebrated the first permanent settlement of Louisville. Because of its strategic location at the Falls of the Ohio, Louisville has prospered and forged steadily ahead, until now this metropolis of Kentucky has gained an enviable position among the great cities of this continent. We are proud to have been identified with the growth and( (levelopenI t of Loiisvilhe. and we pledge our concerted effort to the continued upbuildlitw of this conmiunity. NATIONAL BANK FIDELITY & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. Complete Financial Service CITIZENS UNION FOURTH Si BANK LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND BANK The Keep of Sanders Hjstory C a, ... CITIZENS HE YEAR 1780 was one of great importance to the little settlement at the Falls of the Ohio. On Mtay 1, 1780, the city of Louisville received its first official charter from the Legislature of Virginia, and thus began its corporate existence. During the spring flood of 1780, John Sanders, a famous hunter and woodsman, made fast his large boat to a tree at what is now the northeast corner of Third and Main Streets. When the receding waters left the boat high and dry, Sanders boarded up the side and ends, inserted doors and windows, and, with the addition of a roof, turned the boat into a store, or "Keep," as he called it. There he carried on a general trading business, issuing negotiable receipts for skins and hides brought to him by hunt- ers and trappers. These receipts passed from hand to hand ainl served the same purpose that our negotiable notes and bonds dlo now. A beaver skin was the unit of value in those eairlv times. Thus the Keep of Sanders becanie in reality the first Ibmuk- iiig institution in Louisville. In striking contrast to this primil- itive house of barter, our splendid new banking room at Fifth and Jefferson Streets emphasizes the remarkable progress made by this city in little more than a century. UNION NATIONAL BANK FIDELITY & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. Complete Financial Service LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND BANK LOUISVILLE 0_ r of d CITIZENS UNION FOURTH STBANK Early Currency and Exchange LOUISVILLE 5Jec ofa 1is tory Ci t' A CITIZENS UNION JW N 1780 there were so many different kinds of currency in circulation in Louisville that much confusion resulted there- from. Coin from the mint of every civilized nation on the gl6be, land warrants, beaver skins, tobacco and other forms of produce and peltry were in common use as units of exchange To this heterogeneous array we niust add the \-arious kinds of paper money in circulation. During the Revolutionary W\ar, V ir- ginia issued nearly one hundred millions of paper money, and the other colonies issued large amounts, l)articularly Pennsylvania and North Carolina. Such large quantities caine into Kenttucky that in 1781 it required one thousand dollars of this paper to equal one Spanish dollar. In 1780, George Hartt, the first doctor in Louisville. attended the child of his friend, George Clew s, and presented the following bill: To 8 doses Calomel . ............................. .... 240.00 To 4 blistering plasters for your child ............... 240.00 480.00 A dose of calomel at 30.00 would seem rather expensive med- ical treatment today. This chaos of money and prices indicated clearly the need of a bank to stabilize the monetary situation. Today the modern banking institution is one of the most important factors in our complex commercial life. We are endeavoring through our allied institutions to afford the people of Louisville every possible form of financial service. NATIONAL BANK FIDELITY & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. Comnplte Financial Service LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND BANK CITIZENS UNION FOURTH ST. BANK The First Steamboat LOUISVILLE gXe His tory ofa City QA N JUNE 1st, 1792, Kentucky became an independent State. Aleanwhile the little settlement at the Falls of the Ohio was steadily growing and the opening of the new century found Louisville a thriving community of eight hundred people. An event of great importance occurred in October, 1811, when Fiilton's steamboat, the "Orleans," reached Louisville en route from Pittsburgh to New Orleans. This was the first steamboat to traverse the Ohio, and it arrived at Louisville unheralded and un- expected in the course of a still, moonlight night. The extraordi- nary sound produced by the steam whistle and the puffing of the engine caused a general alarm, many of the inhabitants believing that some monster of the deep had found its way inland. From this event we may date the real prosperity of Louisville. The Falls of the Ohio marked the head of ascending and the foot of descending navigation, and all the commerce of the Southern and Western countries necessarily passed through the portals of this city. It is gratifying to note the active part that Louisville is now taking in the revival of river transportation. With the construction of adequate river terminals and equipment, great opportunities are afforded the commercial interests of this city. These allied institutions stand ready at all times to lend their aid in the sound development of this community. Q I CITIZENS UNION NATIONAL BANK FIDEIGTY & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. Complete Financial Service CITIZENS UNION FOUR'H ST. BANK LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND BANK Note-Shavers hel of d History City - JW T is interesting at this time to review some of the events that marked the progress and growth of early Louisvill. In 1789 the first brick house was erected by .Mr. Kaye on Market Street between Fifth and Sixth. The first newspaper published in Louisville was called the " Farm- ers' Library," and the initial issue appeared on January 18, 1801. In 1807 the volunteer fire companies were badly in need of equipment. About this time a showman arrived in Louisville with an elephant. and the trustees of Louisville taxed him 10.00 for each public exhibition of the elephant, appropriating the receipts for ladders for use at the fires. The first theatre was built in 1808, but, until remodeled in 1818, it was little better than a barn.+ Shrewd men who had accumulated a surplus of money were engaged in a very peculiar form of banking at this time. They carried about a wonderful collection of notes and papers in their high, bell-crowned hats. It was their practice to discount notes and lend money at a higher rate of interest than the law allowed. They were known as note-shavers and did not enjoy general pop- ularity. Modern banking facilities contrast very sharply with the diffi- culties of early banking. We are able through our allied institu- tions to render material assistance in any form of financial transac- tion. C [ITZENS UNION NATIONAL BANK FIDFLI'IY & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. Comuplete Linancial Service LOUISVILLE LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND BANK CITI-Al-ENS UNION FOURTH ST BANK The Court House of 1811 LOUISVILLE fi Aistory of a City - CITIIZENS UNION' TIE first Court House in Jefferson County was a small one- room log structure, built in 1784. This burned in 1787 and a stone building, erected in 1788, served as its successor until 1811. The Court House built in 1811 was considered the handsomest structure in the Western country. The building consisted of a main body andl two wings, all of brick, and was situated on the west side of Sixth Street, between Jefferson and Market. The public library, composed of about five hundred volumes, was located in the second story of the south wing. The jail, immediately opposite the Court House, was a mis- erable edifice, kept in filthy condition. Dr. McMurtrie in his his- tory referred to it as "first cousin to the Black Hole of Calcutta." Ile declared that any unfortunate prisoner who fell asleep might lose his ears through the voracity of rats and other vermin that infested the place. He referred also to the pillory and whipping post standing opposite the Court House. - i The first church in Louisville, a small Catholic chapel, was built in 1811 at the corner of Tenth and Main Streets. l The progress of a community is evidenced by the character of its public structures and business institutions. We feel that the citizens of Louisville can point with pride to our new banking offices as an example of real progressiveness and civic spirit NATIONAL BANK FIDELI'Y & COLUM.IA TRUST CO. C071plete 14nanckal Service CITI-E.ENS UNION FOURIH ST BANK LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND BANK The Earthquakes of 1812 LOUISVILLE lke His tory Ofa City I y . CITIZENS UNION JW N attempting to portray the history of Louisville it is well to review some of the misfortunes and adversities that be- fell the early inhabitants. Beginning on the 16th day of December, 1811, and coit- tinuing for four months through the spring of 1812, Louisville awid the surrounding country experienced a series of terrible and violet il earthquakes. Ornaments anal dishes were dashed to the grotitiil. chimneys topple(l over, anud buildings thrown dlangero)usly (oll .dr line. In 1817 smallpox in virulent form ravagedl the towVI. TVe cases were so numerous that there was fear of an extertniiiat ill epidemic. It became necessary to improvise a temp)orary hospital on the edge of town to take care of the patients. This was the forerunner of the Louisville Hospital, incorporated in 1817. In 1822 a terrible epidemic of fever almost depopulated Louis- ville. The mortality was so great that the neighboring States le- came alarmed; the news was spread far and wide, and for years after- ward travelers dreaded to pass through Louisville. This epidemic was undoubtedly caused by the stagnant water of the ponds which were so numerous throughout the city. These ponds were drained, the filth removed, and from that time on Louisville became one of the healthiest cities in the country. Civic projects and developments are made possible only through proper financing. A successful municipality needs large banking institutions with ample capital. These allied institutions are glad to serve the interests of Louisville at all times. NATIONAL BANK FIDELITY & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. Complete Financial Service CITIZENS UNION FOURTH ST. BANK LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND BANK The Visit of General Lafayette LOUISVILLE -o 24g f history ofa Citv .. /t., ,NE of the most noteworthy events in the history of early liiiLouisville was the reception accorded General Lafayette k I7during his triumphal tour of this country. The distinguished visitor arrived in Louisville on May 11, 1825, and was given the freedom of the city. A public dinner was served for him in Washington Hall, processions were formed, arclhes erected, and his pathway strewn with flowers. Not long before this, however, Louisville entertained a celebrity to whom little attention was paid. Mr. J. J. Audubon, the world- renowned ornithologist, advertised in the "Courier" of February 19, 1819, that he was desirous of securing a class in drawing and would also paint portraits, which, he promised, would be "strong like- nesses. Another event of great importance to the city occurred just at this time. The Louisville and Portland Canal Company was in- corporated by an Act of the Legislature on January 12, 1825. Work on the canal was begun in March, 1826, and it was finally opened for navigation on December 5, 1830. The completion of this canal was indeed a mile-stone in the history of the city. The joint occupancy of our new banking offices at Fifth and Jefferson Streets will indoubtedly be recognized in the future as one of the mile-stones in the financial history of this city. CITIZENS UNION NATIONAL BANK FIDELITY & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. cnoplete Financial Service LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND 8ANY, CITIZENS UNION FOURM ST BANK The First Railroad LOUISVILLE Ilke History ofa City-+ _tH E history of Louisville as a city may be said to have al begun with the 13th day of February, 1828, the date of the first city charter. Up to this time Louisville had been governed by Trustees, but under the new charter the city was divided into five wards and placed under the government of a Mayor and a City Council, the latter being composed of ten mem- hers, two from each ward. The first election under this charter was held on the 4th day of Mtay, 1828, and 'Mr. J. C. Bltcklin was elected Mayor. In the year 1838 a steam railway service was inaugurated l)e- tween Portland and Louisville. This line did not prove profitable, however, and was soon abandoned. In 1851 the road from Frank- it : X fort to Louisville was completed, and, in December of that year. the actual operation of trains was begun. George D. Prentice left his New England home in 1830 and journeyed to Louisville to engage in the publication of the Louis- ville "Journal." From that time until the "Journal" was consoli- dated with the "Courier" in 1868, the name and fame of Prentice and his paper spread throughout the country. The vigor of his pen and the strength of his personality had much to do with the ever-increasing prominence attained by the city of Louisville. Strong, well-conducted financial institutions are important factors in the progress of any community. These allied institutions are reatl. :it ill times to join in every forward movement. CITIZENS UNION NATIONAL BANK FIDELUIT & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. Complete Financial Service CITIZENS UNION FOURTH ST. BANK LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND BANK Bloody Monday LOUISVILLE Ilke History ofa City-+ NJ a series of brief articles of this sort it is not possible to even 4 sketch the political history of Louisville. The barest sum- mary would require a number of volumes of highly colored narrative. Yet there is one event in the early political history of Louisville which will always stand out in 0old relief, discrebdital)le though it may lbe. The year 1X54 marked the passing of the Whlig party as a State and national organization. The Know-Notbing ticket, based on antagonism to foreigners and Catholics, was elected, and this new political party steadily gained in influence and power. In a heated campaign in 1855, the rank and file of the Know- Nothing party, largely in the majority, proved violently intolerant, and on election day, August 6th, mobs were formed with riotous demonstrations. Foreigners were stoned, clubbed and chased through the streets, houses were fired, and by nightfall the city was threatened with a general conflagration. Over twenty people were killed or died from their wounds and many houses were burned to the ground. Contemporaneous historians always referred to the day as "Bloody Monday. " The people of Louisville have witnessed many changes for the better since those troublesome days. One of the most auspicious signs for the further growth and development of this city is the strength of her banking institutions. We are proud to identify our forces and resources with every forward movement for the betterment of the community. CITIZENS UNION NATIONAL BANK FIDELUIT & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. Complete Financial Service CITIZENS UNION FOURTH ST. BANK LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND BANK The Louisville Legion LOUISVILLE Ilke History ofa City-+ CITIZENS NY history of Louisville would be incomplete without some reference to the splendid military record of her citizens. Organized in 1836 by the foremost young men of the town, the Louisville Legion has blazoned a proud record across the pages of American history. In 1846 our country's declaration of war against Mexico created intense excitement. On May 17th the Governor of Kentucky issued a proclamation asking for volunteers for the existing emer- gency. The following day the Louisville Legion offered its services, and four days later was on transports bound for Mexico. Upon the return of the Legion from Mexico it was disbanded, but in 1858 this famous command was reorganized under the lead- ership of Simon B. Buckner, who subsequently became Governor of Kentucky. This organization participated with distinction and credit in many of the greatest battles of the Civil WNrar. Because of the railroad riots of 1877, the First Battalion of the Kentueky State Guards was mustered into service ill 1878. This battalion becanime ofie of the crack military organizations of tile countrv, taking first prize It nany encamnpimemits all over the 1)Ilite(I States. Its splendid .achievenents in recent y ears are knowni to every one. Like the soldier, the successful business manl mmust possess courage and character. But he also needs capital. Our resources are at the command of those pioneers of industry who are fast bringing Louisville to the front in the great struggle for commercial supremacy. UNION NATIONAL BANK FIDELUIT & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. Complete Financial Service LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND BANK CITIZENS UNION FOURM ST. BANK The First Gas Lights LOUISVILLE ieIl History ofa City CITIZENS UNION _ URING the period from 1830 to 1850 practically all of the great enterprises in Louisville were founded. Perhaps the best indication of the growth and progress of the city at this time is found in the United States Census reports. The population of Louisville in 1830 was 10,341; in 1840, 21,210, and in 1850, 43,194. The Louisville Hotel, the first large hotel in the city, was erected in 1832. The first Galt House, located at the northeast corner of Second and Main Streets, was built in 1835. The year 1840 witnessed an event of great importance. In that year the lighting of the city by gas was inaugurated by the Louisville Gas Company. Much of the crime and disorder that had prevailed under cover of darkness was thus dispelled. In 1846 the organization of the law department of the University of Louisville was completed. In 1848 Cave Hill Cemetery was dedicated with notable ceremonies. A great financial panic occurred in 1837, notable because all of the banks in the Union, including the Kentucky banks, sus- pended payment. The Kentucky Legislature of 1837 legalized the suspension of the banks, refusing to compel them to resume specie payments or to exact the forfeiture of their charter. It is indeed fortunate that the provisions of the Federal Reserve Law eliminate the possibility of any future occurrence of this sort. Our membership in the Federal Reserve System assures our customers of complete protection from any such emergency. NATIONAL BANK FIDELITV & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. Complete Financial Service CITIZENS UNION FOURTH ST BANK LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND BANK The Great Cyclone LOUISVILLE ofa Cistory ofa City - THE General Assembly of Kentucky granted the city of Louis- \ 'jGville its third charter in the year 1870. This year really Kmarked the beginning of another epoch in the history of the city. The period of prosperity which followed the Civil War was now manifesting itself in the consummation of many great undertakings. An event of great importance was the completion in 1870 of the railroad bridge at the foot of Fourteenth Street. The new Galt House, erected at a cost of one million dollars and unparalleled in its magnificence, was thrown open to the public this same year. In 1873 the City Hall at Sixth and Jefferson and the new High School on First Street were completed and occupied. The enlarge- ment and completion of the water-works system was also a note- worthy achievement of this period. In the spring of 1890 Louisville was visited by the severest X'M X SAW storm in its history. A terrific tornado swept through the western district of the city, leaving death and destruction in its wake. Sev- enty-six people were killed outright. over two hundred injured, U tk and the property damage was estimated at over two million dollars. We learn from the history of this country that we must expect ,HX financial "storms" of great intensity from time to time. The combined strength and resources of our allied institutions form an impenetrable bulwark of protection for our customers from financial storms of the utmost severity. CITIZENS UNION NATIONAL BANK FIDELITY & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. Complete X nancial Service LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND BANK CITIZENS UNION FOUvrii STBANK A Great Financial Consolidation LOUISVILLE Ae Hfstory ofa City .. N this series of advertisements we have endeavored to sketch 4 very briefly some of the outstanding events in the growth and development of this city. From the date of the earliest settlement down to the present time the history of Louisville has been a story of steady progress and achievement. Louisville today occupies a proud place among the foremost cities of this great country. Located near the geographical center of the nation, surrounded by natural advantages of every description, and blessed with the highest order of citizenry, this city is indeed fortunate. H;n-7 W XLooking back- now, it is easy to trace through the long years - GoXthe steady growth and progress that has characterized the affairs of this community from the very beginning. And so this brief chronicle brings us down to the present time and the narration of the last chapter in this history. On Monday, October 9, 1922, the Fidelity & Columbia Trust Company, the Citizens Union National Bank, and the Louisville Joint Stock Land Bank will formally welcome the public to their new banking offices in the Inter-Southern Building at Fifth and Jefferson Streets. We believe that the joint occupancy of these nmagnificenit new quarters by three great financial institutions, whose combined resources total over forty million dollars, will always stand out as one of the memorable events in the history of this city. The people of Louisville are offered for the first time a complete financial service under one roof. CITIZENS UNION NATIONAL BANK FIDELITY & COLUMBIA TRUST CO. Complete Financial Service LOUISVILLE JOINT STOCK LAND BANK CITIZENS UNIONFOURI'll STBANK