You have found an item located in the Kentuckiana Digital Library.
Letter to Department of the Interior, Bureau of Education, March 7, 1917 American Liberty League. 400dpi TIFF G4 page images Digital Library Services, University of Kentucky Libraries Lexington, Kentucky LFP_rblue_2_06_01 These pages may freely searched and displayed. Permission must be received for subsequent distribution in print or electronically. Letter to Department of the Interior, Bureau of Education, March 7, 1917 American Liberty League. unknown unknown 1917-03-07 Is Part of the Reverend Thomas F. Blue Papers, ca. 1905-1935 housed at the Louisville Free Public Library, Louisville, KY. This electronic text file was created by Optical Character Recognition (OCR). No corrections have been made to the OCR-ed text and no editing has been done to the content of the original document. Encoding has been done through an automated process using the recommendations for Level 1 of the TEI in Libraries Guidelines. Digital page images are linked to the text file. ï»¿Karoh ?Â» 1917 Hon. Thomas JeÂ«*e Jonee, Specialist, "Bureau of Education, r Department of the Interior, Washington, B. C. Doar Bir: tn reply to your recueet I am enclosing an article on colored branch library work. If thie not ,jUBt vhat you want, pleaee write me* Youre very truly, Colored Branch Librarian A Bnol. ï»¿W&m. In organizing the public library for Louisville ^it was planned to hare separate building* for colored readers* To this end.shortly after the opening of the Main library, colored branch vith a colored etaff vae established* It vat opened in temporary Quarters September 23, 19^5 and immediately becass popular. It soon outgrew its surroundings. The trustees spoke of it as a success from the beginningWith $000 books olui ana â€žpu est the second including stations the circulation the first year was 17.833 vo year 30,419 and the tenth year the circulation andlass room collections, was 78*791* ~ Ct/y t*JL crJL^- AasxO li^"2- The new building9 the fijift of Andrew Carnegie, was opened Oct. 28, 1908. On that occasion w# 0. Bead, the Mayor of Louisville and President of the Board of Trustees, presided. The opening of its doors was regarded as an epoch in the develop* roent of the race for It was the first Institution of its kind in existence. The building oooupied by the Western Colored Branch is 77 *y 45 feet with a main floor, and basementÂ» built of brick, concrete and stone with tile roof# the cost, including grounds, building arid equipment was $47,410.64. The library contains 11,269 volumes and receives 78 monthly, weekly and daily periodi* cals and newspapers* ATTENDANCE The attendance in eleven years has been 526,656 and since the opening 8,65$ persons have registered as borrowers of books for home use* CIRCULATIOI The library ry one the greates Following is the record of books ciroulated; ï»¿first year Second Third Fourth Fifth 8ixth Seventh Eighth Ninth Tenth Llwventh Total 636,640 FASTER** COLORED BRANCH LIBRARY The work at the Western Colored Branch was so successful that the library Board established a second colored branch in the eastern part of the city* This is known aÂ© the Bastern Colored Branch Library and was opened with appropriate exercises January 28f 1914. John H. Bucoheraeysr, Mayor of the City and Preeident of the Board of Trustees, presided* Louisville long enjoyed the distinction of having the only colored branch library in the country. It now has the distinction of being the only city having two colored branches. The Eastern Colored Branch building is 60 by 150 feet, and Is especially adapted for library and social center uses* The building, site and eauipment cost 131,024.31. The library contains 3.&50 volumes and receives 53 periodicals and newspapers. The record of book, circulated einoe the opening follows: Flret year Second Third Total (7Â«oe.) 14,038 f 25,980 2 1/ 2.45 67,589 ? 7 7' ' 6 WORK WITH 8CH00LS The libraries furnish reference matter for teachers and students of the high schools, ward schools and other educational institutions in the city- Information is looked up on all subjects and all kinds of topics. Since the opening of the libraries 3^,095 persons have been assisted in reference work by the librarians. i ï»¿3 Close co-operation with teachers is sought through collectionsof books which are placed in the class rooms. These books are drawn by the children for home use, under the supervision of the teachers* There are 44 class room collections in eleven school buildings. ^ LIBRARY STATION'S To further increase the benefits of the libraries even deposit stations are open at desirable points in the the ft. )ry^ A *jEDUCatiohal and social CKMTERS Great use is made of the clase rooms and auditoriums of the libraries for meetings of educational and social uplift; The people feel that the libraries belong to them and that they say be used for anything that makes for their public welfare. During the past year 498 meetings wars held at the libraries with an attendance of 11,628. The following clubs meet regularly in the buildings: Bannekor Reading Circle Fisk 01ub Dorcas Literary Club Artisans1 Club Girls1 Dramatic Club Normal School Gymnastic Class Physical Culture Club Wllb erf ores Club Y- W# C. A. Douglass Debating Club Athletic Association Jefferson County Teachers* Association Ministerial Alliance. Parent-Teachers Association Girls' Club Mothers1 Congress Story Hour Of the meetings that are held under the direction of the staff, the Story Hour and the Douglass Debating Club deserve special mention. The Story Hour is the children's delight and is held weekly at each library under the direction of a trained story-teller. A story-telling contest is held annually between the two libraries and prizes are given to the children who can best reproduce a story told during the year. This contest is one of the big events of the year and the children who listen, as well as those who take part, are keenly interested. At present Louisville is the only city in the country which holds such a "Story-telling bee". The Douglass Debating Club is composed of high school boys and is under the direction of the branch librarian. The purpose of the club is to acquaint its members with parliamentary usages, to keep before them the great current Questions and to train them to speak in public. The club meets weekly at the Western Colored Branch and a prepared program is rendered. A ï»¿public debate is given semi-annually and a gold medal prise contest is held annually. The following are eome,of the subjects debated in the prise conteets: Sight of Suffrage should be extended to women, The North American Indian hae a greater opportunity for development than the Afro-American* The United States vras justified In taking up arms against Hexice, ,The United States should Interfere to stop the international strife in Mexicoâ€ž The effects of the European war on the United States Ir-ve been beneficial, The United States does not need a large stand* lag armyt APPRENTICE CLASS * f -m - e The library oonduots annually an apprentice class for those who desire to enter library service* An examination is held in June and the class whloh begins in September of each year does three months actual work in all departments under the direction of the branch librarian, heads of depart* ments and the chief librarian* This course has been taken by fourteen persons, four of whom came from other cities, Houston, fvansville, Memphis and Cincinnati. The two colored branches are a part of the Louisville Tree Public Library system consisting of a Vain Library, ten branches, 230 class room collections and 6? deposit stations, of which George T. Settle is librarian. The Colored branches are in charge of Thomas F. Blue with the assistance of Elizabeth I. Finney and Jane J. Simpson at the ' estern Colored branch and Rachel D. Harris and Lillie S, Edwards at the Eastern Colored Branch. COLORED LIBRARIES ELSEWHERE Since the opening of our first colored branch other cities have caught the spirit of Louisville and have opened separate libraries for their colored citisens as follows: Sashville, Mew Orleans and Evansville, Ind. have branch libraries with Carnegie buildings. Houston, Texas and Savannah, Ga. have Carnegie buildings and receive city aid, but are independent. ï»¿-5- Jfound Bayou, Mies.,* town founded and governed by colored people, hae a Carnegie building. Jacksonville, ?la., Charlotte, N.C., Kansas Galveston, Texas, ?Jemphls, Tenn., and Henderson. Ky., provision for their colored citisens. City, Ho., have come Lexington, Ky. has a separate reading room in its public library for colored readers. In Cincinnati, Ohio the Douglass Colored Sohool has a reading room for colored citisens. The colored citizens of Guthrie, Oklahoma have opened a public reading room with several thousand volumes. Knoxville, Tenn. and Atlanta, Ga. have received Car* negie appropriations for colored branch libraries. Colored Branch rarian \